removing sprocket from crank.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my long awaited murray king kat came in today. I love it....(been wanting one for about 20 yrs hehe) But the Sprocket got waffled in shipping. I've never changed the sprocket off the crank arms and for some reason i can't find any laying around right now to look at but what's the easiest way to pop it off so i can make it straight again? I'm taking the bike apart monday night (gotta finish the wifes first) to get it ready to paint. Well let me know. thanks

king%20kat.jpg

cool find i have not seen one of those in sometime. anyways first obviously you will need to remove the crank. then put the crank in a vise (does not have to be very tight and DONT clamp it on the threads of the crank lol. most bikes use two methods of holding the sprocket on. most are held on by a nut that has two flat sides and you will need a large adjustable wrench to remove it. the other type uses a lock ring with three notches. a hook wrench is the intended tool to remove it but you can also use a flat tip screwdriver and a hammer to knock it off. oh yea and it is regular thread so lefty loosy righty tighty.

Latest posts

Back