Removing Stuck Pedals

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Whats the best way to remove stuck pedals? I've tried spraying WD-40 all over them and letting them soak and then trying to get them off, but that never works. Is there a better way?

spray the penetrating oil in from the back of crank;only need it on the threaded area.not the entire pedal. :)
also, after determining proper direction for turning;
hit the wrench with a dead-blow hammer, ,
in the desired direction.:idea:

Ratfink1962 said:
All of the above.... AND a good pedal wrench goes a long ways!
X1 on the pedal wrench. I picked up the Park Tools PW-5 recently and go around searching for pedals to remove now! :mrgreen: Did Santa deliver yours yet, Ratfink?

lol :D

I HAD a pair of pedals that were eagerly awaiting the arrival of a quality pedal wrench, I tried my usual methods, my unusual methods, holding my tounge just right, etc.

needless to say... when said pedal wrench finally hit my hands..... skablammo those pedals never stood a chance! :lol:

I went with the PW-3 figured it would be more versatile with the 15mm and 9/16" openings.

Ratfink1962 said:
lol :D ...needless to say... when said pedal wrench finally hit my hands..... skablammo those pedals never stood a chance! :lol:

I went with the PW-3 figured it would be more versatile with the 15mm and 9/16" openings.

+1

Haven't met the pedal yet that my Park won't bust loose.

If they are really stuck, I have seen a few people who have put the pedals on the wrong side and your turning them wrong, +100 on the pedal wrench, bike with the shiny side up, turn or pull the wrench toward the back of the bike.

Heat works wonders along with a long slim head wrench IE Mr Bluetooth & Snap On long OE wrenches...or Modified Crapsman, if poor, Park stuff... :mrgreen:

I pick up every tool I find (probably $100 worth along the road thru the years, or in used cars Ive bought, etc), going through the 'collection' I found and old 'flat' open end very close to pedal size; a few strokes with my diamond file opened it up perfect. Its way thicker than those wimpy bike tools :D .

+ 1 for KJV's impact method. Make sure the crank won't move when you hit the wrench and even rusted ones come out without hitting the wrench very hard. If you have the chain on the bike, the coaster brake will hold the cranks for you.

+2 on the above. The easiset pedals I have removed were on a bike with a locked up crank(it was shot already).

Latest posts

Back