Removing Tape Residue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be time to get out the torch and burn off the residue and paint, they you can just cover it with duct tape.

Think i am finally getting somewhere. I pulled off all i could by hand the started using a cheap spray lubricant on the residue. A lot of scrubbing but got most of it off. The key is getting it soft and gooey where it will turn loose.

UPDATE....Took about an hour and a half but wetting the residue with lube and using the handle of a plastic spoon to scrape and not damage paint i got 90% of it off and looks fine.

I've removed tape and sticky stuff with diesel fuel or paint thinner. Duct tape is some wicked stuff to get off though. Personally I'd take it apart and throw the frame and fork in the fire pit and burn it off then re-paint or leave it bare metal and rust it for that rat look.

outskirtscustoms said:
I've removed tape and sticky stuff with diesel fuel or paint thinner. Duct tape is some wicked stuff to get off though. Personally I'd take it apart and throw the frame and fork in the fire pit and burn it off then re-paint or leave it bare metal and rust it for that rat look.

The Cycocycle is done and looks brand new. Took off all that old tape and never put a scratch on the bike.

Bumping this thread up to remind people there is a difference between Goof Off and Goo Gone. I had always assumed they were different manufacturers versions of the same product, they are not. I use Goo Gone all the time and it works great to remove sticker residue. I recently ran low and got Goof Off, thinking it was the same thing. It is MUCH more aggressive, and the color of the paint started coming off on the rag! I'm sure I'll find a use for it, but not for removing sticker goo on anything I want to preserve.

Back