Removing the Crank..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think I'm probably the only one on this forum having this problem haha. But I have No idea how to remove the crank on my bike. I've already removed both of the pedals, so that's not a problems but after that I have no idea. Anyways, the crank I'm trying so hard to remove is from my 1940's Murray as shown below:

6403292195_928edc977b_z.jpg

Thanks!

Remove the nut on the other side. It is reverse threaded. Then remove the wash and the bearing cone, also reverse threaded. A big adjustable wrench should work or if you have to a pipe wrench.

Reverse thread= clockwise, same as the pedal on that side.

Remove that side bearing, start pulling the crank out. you may need to pull the other bearing out to let the bend in the crank to pass through.

OR just look here http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... et-service

a helpful tool to have is a good pipe wrench an possibly a pin spanner tool for one piece cranks. Park tools for the hookup lol

Being 'resourceful', I once made a specialty pin spanner with an old large open-end wrench with the jaws the right distance apart. I drilled holes for some needle bearings I had in the bin to use for pins and pressed them in about 2/3s their length, leaving the 1/3 out. Unfortunately it doesnt fit anything I work on now, but it worked like a charm and was free.

Well I got the crank off, got the bearings cleaned and greased. Got the sprocket off and cleaned it up a little better. Got it all put back together but now I cant figure out how to get it back inside the bike.. :x

did you take out the bearing braces when you cleaned everything. Sometimes they get in the way when putting the crank back in. Also rotate and tilt as you reinstall the crank. takes a little practice but you will get it

your going to put the crank back on (with the chaingear installed) with the bearing for the drive side hanging on the crank, if you put it in the cup and then try to stick the crank through it probably will get hung up about half way through. let it hang on the crank and stick it in place at the last minute. then the other side bearing goes on, the bearing race, lock nut and pedals.

Back