restoration advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i recently picked up a mid 30's shelby built western flyer. i normally like to leave bikes original, just clean them up. this one has frame damage that i didnt see when i bought it. i had to cut a bad piece of rusted tubing out and weld in a new piece. now it needs a paint job. i have experience in painting. problem is i'm not going to chrome anything, just clean it. i think a nice shiny paint job wont look right with the components. i thought about aging the freshly painted frame just not sure how well that would look. what would you guys do. thanks

Re: restoration advise

aging paint works. I really like fresh pinstripes over old paint too.

the chrome parts could be painted flat black and fit well on a contrasting colored frame
or paint them with the fake stainless steal color paint after smoothing the rust
or died/tinted with metal cast candycolors for a poping look
or sanded/sandblasted to bare metal , and polish or just cleared

You might also think of painting or powder coating the chrome bits black like a war time bike rather than chroming. That would make it look good but not have the cost of chroming.

I would blend the paint like stated above, unless you just would like a color change. Then I'd pick a cool funky color and use the satin version of it, possibly with other similar shades, then rub through the layers with rubbing compound to distress it. Cool bike too. Here's my shelby WF
SANY1076_zpsf9ae03b9.jpg

cman said:
aging paint works. I really like fresh pinstripes over old paint too.

is there a specific section of the forum that addresses this? I am having to repaint a frame, but am considering some type of glaze to soften the 'just painted' look.

also, anyone offer a tried & trusted method of introducing patina on new polished aluminum? my headset is getting replaced to make the new forks work, but I don't want the new car smell.

thanks

Latest posts

Back