Retro Direct - going backwards and forwards

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apparently there's nothing new here with this loopy idea, its been around since 1867. :lol: :lol:

I originally posted the below image and article under my build in the RRBO8 competition, I'm definitely considering building this for next year's build off?

I'd like to thank RRB member OzBroz for suggesting I should Google "retro direct bike", I found a plethora of links on the subject! I had a general idea of what this two speed system would do? But when I saw it demonstrated on the YouTube posts...Wow, it's really awesome!

Also its been done before here on RRB...check it out...
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&p=273631

This is so killer, I've GOT to put one on a build in the near future. I would definitely reverse the gears as they are on most bikes. When going up a hill, or starting from a stop, that's when I would want to pedal forwards. If I'm just cruising on flat land, then I could switch to a backwards motion.

Some of those Youtube videos are cool. One showed how he built it.

Onewheelsqueel said:
Seems simple to pull off. Oops posted wrong link the first time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=rela ... KT97jOceXE

That's the video I watched. His chain rubbed together where they crossed, so he came up with an overly complicated derailleur system. Seems like he could have just put in a larger spacer between the two freewheel cogs in the back, and saved himself some pain. But maybe now I'm oversimplifying?

Retro-Direct is easy to build--you might even be able to keep the build in TRADITIONAL if you bolt on the chain adjuster, and brakes. This is Retro-Direct built on a Schwinn (Cantilever) frame . Regular freewheel hub/single freewheel/BB cup them another single freewheel, makes up the two freewheeled hub you will need.

Back