Retro therapy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow what a great looking bike and those trails mate, makes me wanna get out there too!
im liking the red accents on your bike! maybe a red seat post clamp to balance those accents, just a thought,
ive chopped up many MTB's over this last year, all cheap rubbish though, I still have the ally reid MTB hanging, Hmmmmm

Beauty and Function! The bike looks great and the upgrades work well with this classic frame. Well done man!!

My last wreck on the mountain was in 1" sized gravel. Cst rock hawks were on at the time. Too little air though the tire wall folded around a curve . Bounced and the Slid on on my shoulder about 25 feet into a boulder. Cracked the helmet and bought a new one. Mild concussion. No stitches.
Ooochie! Sounds like a good one. My last wreck was a botched jump that dislocated my shoulder. I don't try the larger jumps anymore. Glad you didn't get hurt too bad. Thanks for the tire recommendations too!

Those words "beautiful, peaceful, and healthy" say it all. It has kept me engaged to the mountain bike and the world it opens up for the past 36 years.

Yes, as Capt suggests, you can convert a 'normal' mtb rim to be used for tubeless set up. But get tubeless tires for sure. The sidewall is shaped differently, often different compounds are used to make it more pliable to grab on and conform to the rim better. I like the Bontrager tires because they have a compound that really 'sucks on' to the rim edge and seals well. Also, certain brands of tires are very finicky with certain brands of rims for this set up. Search 'reviews by bike shop mechanics' for these anomalies.

In case you missed my tutorial on setting my Midriff-ter tires up tubeless this year, here's the link:

I also highly recommend Orange Seal sealant! It has great elasticity for the hot / high / dry climates and the particles I mention in the video really do help seal larger holes and it's higher viscosity doesn't break down as fast as others.

I really like the feel and stance of the bike in this setting. A drive train side would have been the frosting on the cake, but it's still really good! I cropped it and gave it some juice....

View attachment 242343

Ride on my dirt loving friend~!

Wow, that pic looks so much better now! Thanks for doctoring it for me. I don't know anything about photography but I think I should watch some videos at some point. It would help with finished photo presentation. I need to learn about doing better videos too.

I did see your video on the tubeless installation. I'll be re-watching it when I get around to doing it. I want to go tubeless on all of my mountain bikes but I don't think any of the tires are tubeless ready so I'll have to make due for a while. And carry a tube and patch kit. 😆

Thanks for the advice, I'll get some of that Orange Seal sealant when I'm ready. 👍

A drive train side would have been the frosting on the cake

Left side bike photos are rare but in your case I like being able to see all of that brake hardware!

I know, right? I had planned on doing pics of both sides of the bike right there but just spaced it after doing the left side. I'll get back out there in a few days and get some drive side pics.

Looks like you had to go as hard as I did on the new parts. Ish got expensive!💸
Indeed. But to be fair I had planned to go that route from the beginning. My project wasn't fighting me like yours had been. I could have done this bike with the 3x7 and cantilevers but I don't think I would have been as happy with it.

@Pondo That's the shot!

It's wild, with the colors on your bike, full Sun actually highlights the details instead of blowing them out. I would post a cropped version as well (for a closer look)...
View attachment 242380
Thanks Bobby! I'll do some zoomed in detail shots too. I'm going to do more pics later this week and hopefully I'll be able to get some good shots.

red seat post clamp to balance those accents,
That's a great idea! I don't know if I can get one here in time but I'll give it a shot, thanks!
I still have the ally reid MTB hanging, Hmmmmm
Oh, nice. I like the sound of that!

Beauty and Function! The bike looks great and the upgrades work well with this classic frame. Well done man!!
Thanks KF! It was a fairly light project, especially by your standards. But it was perfect for my needs at the moment. I think it did turn out to be a decent looking bike (even better after OJ tweaked the pic). I wish I could take some pics of it around Savannah. Man that place is gorgeous. Maybe I'll bring it along next time I road trip to the south. There's still some national parks I need to see out there.

I was planning another ride today to take some more pics but something came up so I just snapped some shots more locally. I’m not too wild about any of them but I’m about out of time. I’ll post my finished thread tomorrow after work. Thanks @Son of Kradus for the ano-red binder bolt suggestion. :thumbsup:
IMG_0212.jpeg
IMG_0213.jpeg
IMG_0214.jpeg
IMG_0218.jpeg
IMG_0228.jpeg
IMG_0229.jpeg
IMG_0231.jpeg

Last edited:
An opportunity came up on marketplace last night so I spent half of today on the road to drag it home. It’s a ‘66 Huffy Rail survivor remarkably similar to @CRASH ’s recent find. It’s a super cool bike that is in great shape with the majority of it’s original parts. I’m going to keep it all original. Pretty stoked with this one. 😎
IMG_0236.jpeg
IMG_0238.jpeg
IMG_0241.jpeg
IMG_0247.jpeg
IMG_0249.jpeg

cool little bike, stark contrast in the pic of the two together,
The bike looks really tuff n strong, My fav pics is the one with your Ute behind it, them TRD decals give the bike an even more intimidating look! ...which is superb!

cool little bike, stark contrast in the pic of the two together,
The bike looks really tuff n strong, My fav pics is the one with your Ute behind it, them TRD decals give the bike an even more intimidating look! ...which is superb!
Thanks SoK! Super fun project, super fun to ride. The TRD Ute is my '01 Toyota Tacoma adventure rig, my favorite vehicle and the only one I ever bought new.

Back