Retrovelo Paul - Question from a Newbie to Bikebuilding

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I absolutely LOVE the look of this bike (I have a thing for Dutch Bikes too) -
2418576306_ea40342549_o.jpg

This is the Retrovelo "Paul" (from http://www.retrovelo.de/). First this bike is just waaay too expensive to buy right now and shipping would probably be a nightmare. So in good fun I was thinking I might just build a cheapo bike that rides similarly and is comfortable like this one, without all the costs.

My question is, especially being extremely new to all of this, how bike tire sizes work with frames?... In other words, does frame size or fork size matter when picking tire sizes. I see that the Paul here rides on 26"x2.125 Fat Franks. If I was to go out and look for a fun old diamond frame bike would I come across problems fitting what would probably have to be new rims and tires on it? Like maybe an old Schwinn Collegiate or something like that? Would I need a larger fork that would work with the frame and would brakes be an issue as well?

I have been trying to look all this up around the web and it just seems hard to find a firm answer. Kinda want to go for that older English Roadster style bike.

Oh and would have posted this in the "How To's" Section but thought since it wasn't really about cruiser style bikes it would be best in here.

Thanks!

JP

Thanks Randy for the tip, I'll check around for some older mtn bikes and see what I can find! And awesome Hooch, thats pretty much EXACTLY what I was looking for design-wise! Was kinda just wanted to make a little commute around town bike for fun, nothing with gears, because I really don't need them around here. Just something fun and new.

Thanks guys!

Oh, last thing Hooch... How did you go about spreading back a bit and get it to stay, just a simple bend? Thanks again you guys, I'm getting some great ideas I want to work on!

I think your best bet for getting those in would be cutting the back off of a balloon tire bike and having it welded on to a diamond frame. Maybe find a suitable girls bike for a rear donor, put a baloon fork on the front.

Awesome and thank you soooo much Hooch, thats a quick fix I can do! Thanks Skoda for the help on that as well! Maybe once I get deeper into that stuff I'll find someone who is able to do the cut and weld for me :oops:, it's something I don't know anything about. Until then its structurally sound frames with no cracks or fixes needed for me! But an awesome idea fix Thanks!

Back when I was in college (late 80's), I had a lugged frame Trek singletrack that I think would work. It looked very similar to your picture. I don't remember what kind of rear dropouts it had though. But, the frame had very similar lines. While I had it, I switched out the stock tires for some fatter knobbies. It was a tight fit, but it worked great... until it was stolen off my porch. :cry: I'm sure that pretty much any brand mtb from that era would work for a fixie if you can find one with the correct dropouts that is....

these are mtn bike wheels on here
orignally came with skinny tire podd size -don't recall off hand what size
just had to make new mounts for the brakes
tandemafter.jpg

It's Allllllllllllllllllllllllllll about the fat meats... :mrgreen:

mastershake916 said:
Hey Sacramento, welcome to the club. :mrgreen:
I say just go with what hooch did, use and a EF schwinn (electroforged, http://www.sheldonbrown.com/varsity.html), they're all over the place, let me know if you're interested and I can get you one. Also a coaster brake would probably be the way to go.

I'll send you a PM Shake! Thanks everyone again for the help.

ZAMN said:
mastershake916 said:
... a coaster brake would probably be the way to go.

Is this basically because fitting another kind of brake system would be a nightmare being its a wide tire on a thinner frame/fork?
Yes, you could do something like this (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html) and use BMX brakes, but a coaster has a cleaner look and is more fun. Of course drum brakes are always an option, like the ones that the originals use, but that can get expensive.

I put 26 X 2.125's on this collegiate 3 frame and they fit with no prob.
100_1823.jpg

here is my 71 Superbe Raliegh with 2.125. had to spread the rear an front to fit. this is a single speed with a coaster brake. yeb it can be done. this bike rides so smooth it is awsome.
JWSMOCKUPBIKES119.jpg

i put the tires on mtb rims and laced up the hub.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Thanks for all your help guys!

I actually decided to switch the build up a bit to add for longer distance commuting (girlfriend wants me to ride with her across town to take her to work every day). I am sticking with a diamond frame, especially need to find one thats really relaxed with something like a 68 degree slope in the head and seat tube, and am thinking about spending the cash to throw on a good internal 3 or 9 speed hub with drum brakes. I really love the clean look of those kind of wheels (though they do cost quite a bit. Even more so I am thinking of going a bit more "path racer" style like the overly expensive but beautiful Pashley Guv'nor (http://www.pashley.co.uk/guvnor/) and throwing on some larger wheels but those seem hard to find as well (the 28" x 1 1/2 tires).

Any suggestions on reducing cost but keeping the same look and feel (like reducing wheel size maybe but keeping the same wide stance look of the Guv'nor)? Mainly thinking about how a frame like a Schwinn Collegiate, Varsity, or Racer would handle larger rims (is this even doable?).

Again thanks for all your help! Being new to bike in general I am learning everything from scratch. I have learned soooo much (with ALOT still left to learn) but just really need to start getting it applied to a project! Tell me what you guys think?

Back