Rick's Busy. :)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess im gonna have 2 resort to that.. OR! Im thinking about measuring the seatpost, and if its not 2 long, just pounding it all the way down.. is this a bad idea?

I have found if you take the crank out and turn them upside down there is a hole in the bottom of the seatpost tube that you can squirt liquid wrench in and attack it from both ends. Soak it for about a week then take a pipe wrench and a cheater bar and get it to move some. Then stick the pipe wrench on the seat post and hit the underside of the pipe wrench and it will slowly come out. If you wrap tape around the frame at the top and make a little cup then the liquid wrench will stay in there and not run out of the seat post cut. Good luck. :shock:

thanks guys, Yeah US, Ive been soaking it in liquid wrench for like 3 days.. Still not budging i dont get it.. im ready to pound it down and ccall it a day. Im still trying.

stuff the bent screw driver back in the hole and pound up on the screwdriver, not down. :)

I had one recently that wouldn't budge. It turned out it had a wedge like on a goosneck on the seat post. The bolt was gone but the wedge was stuck in place. I use a long steel rod to knock the wedge down and the seat post came out.

If yours is stuck due to rust I have a suggestion. Put a cork or some kind of stopper in the top of the seat post. You will also have to plug the hole you drilled in it. Turn the bike frame upside down and fill the seat tube with rain water or creek water. Let it sit over night then see if it comes out. I have used rain water to break free several parts that penetrating oil failed to free up. I know this sounds odd but it does work. I keep a bucket of rain water on hand to soak chains.

I know it sounds crazy but it works. An old man told me about using rain water and I didn't believe it would work but tried it and was amazed. I think it reactivates the rust which softens the old rust or something like that. You do want to dry it and oilo after doing this though to stop further rust. I just know it has worked for me in the past. Be sure and let everyone know if you try it and if it works.

well its been sitting in rain all day. maybe it will work.

would purified water work better than rain water?

water is a pretty aggressive solvent,even more so in its purest form

icyuod2 said:
would purified water work better than rain water?

water is a pretty aggressive solvent,even more so in its purest form

I don't know. The guy who told me about this said use rain water or creek water instead of tap water. I tried it and it work so I never experimented.

elvis51 said:
Flame Jigger said:
I keep a bucket of rain water on hand to soak chains.

what does the rain water do for chains flamejigger?

I should have said rusted chains. You know the ones that are rusted and froze up. The rain water softens the rust and you can work the chain back and forth then dry and oil it real good.

I dont care lol :D You aint hijacking nothing. I learned somthing. Idc what we talk about lol :p No hard feelings

lol ok cool. so flamejigger. all you gotta do is let the chain soak in the rain water for a day or however long and it will free up a completely rusty chain?

Easy E

Back