Ride and Skip tooth questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some miscellaneous questions for y'all:
On the skip-tooth bikes, are the chains available for those? If using an old skip-tooth bike, is there any strong motivation to change it to a normal chain (or vice-versa)?

Do any of y'all ever ride the different charity rides on these bikes? I think I've seen a couple at the Tour Dallas and that's about it:
http://www.bicycle-stuff.com/photo2008/ ... age12.html

And a ride idea. There are various hot-rod shows around town here (Dallas area). There used to be an automotive swap meet here at Audubon Park in Garland in the summer. I was thinking it would be kind of neat to meet up somewhere and ride TO one of these shows. Anybody know a good show for the occasion? Any interest?

You can find skip tooth chains and sprockets pretty cheap on this site and even ebay. Don't go wasting your time trying to buy a brand new chain, you'll spend about $100. I usually sell mine for $10 to $15, if I come across one soon I'll let you know.

I don't need one now, just didn't know if that was a plus or a minus on putting together a rideable bike. (Was looking at a Cycle Truck frame with skip-tooth sprocket, but that frame got too expensive).

I ride my Ratty Racer bike pretty often. Just this weekend I put about 20-25 miles on it when ambman and I rode from Ferndale Mich to the Detroit river. We then rode the new river walk and then back to Ferndale. Lots of fun, especially around the 5mile and Woodward area (really bad area of Detroit)! My chain started making noise about 3/4 of the way but, a fresh coat of oil when I got home fixed that. We got caught in a downpour by the river and the chain ended up with a lot of road grime on it. The only thing I can suggest is to keep things properly lubed and the rear hub and bottom bracket adjusted. I use Phil wood waterproof grease on my bearings and Pedros chain lube ( I think its called Ice or Icing). Good luck!

I second boardtracker, but also apply this same maintenance regime with a regular pitch drivetrain. All my bikes ride so silently, and chains will never complain if their taken care of. Just my $0.02 8)

Back