Ride In Peace 9 Done - Vid update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't know why I always pick up another build during RRBO but building a new 29er MTB, just picked up a new Niner R.I.P.9 in Raw finish on sale over the weekend; "Some Assembly Required"

IMG_1496.jpg
IMG_1498.jpg

Re: Ride In Peace 9

Looks like a good start. What are your plans component-wise?

Thanks, got a mix of semi-budget and higher end stuff toward an AM build; Zoke 44 TST2 29er fork need to remove an internal spacer for full 140mm then mix up some Redline 15Wt oil for it (7.5 Wt std). Avid BB7s, a bunch of older TruVativ Hussefelt stuff I've collected as spares for my Iron Horse 7point3 ( crankset, stem, bar, BB etc), CK HD hubs built up on Halo Freedom rims with Nevegals for rubber. Possibly robbing some stuff off my GT Peace also.

Almost done, just waiting on a 51mm chainline bottom bracket tried a 56mm one I had laying around but a no go in granny gear. Also swapping the bashguard for a smaller diameter one, front derailleur interference, pop a chain on and ready this weekend hopefully.

IMG_1547.jpg

Re: Ride In Peace 9 Photo update

TheFlyingDingo said:
If your going to use that down hill..You dont need a chain!

No serious DH for this bike, the front fork isn't stout enough. The build was more towards an AM which Zoke rates it for. 26ers are still better for DH for a number of reasons but especially no real DH casing tires in 29er yet, plus forks still have a way to go.

TheFlyingDingo said:
I just sort of think it looks more downhill dimensioney to me...

Im no pro though!

No pro here either, but the pic does make the head angle look more slack than it is(~70 + change, versus < 68 most DH run now) and the forks look like they have a lot more travel than actual, maybe it's the tapered head tube plus big wheels :)

bighit said:
Oh yeah I had a rip 9. I know one of the owners. He used to be a customer of our shop. Great guys and on top of the mtb game.

I will never go back to 26 inch tires after riding 29.

Speaking of being on top of it, don't know if you saw this, but back in August GWB told a local Kennebunkport ME bike shop he wanter to try a 29er and the owner told the Niner guys, they personally flew out and set him up, said he's a real good off-road rider.

http://www.feedthehabit.com/mountain-biking/niner-bikes-founders-introduce-george-bush-to-29ers/

ninerPresidentBush-500x412.jpg

Re: Ride In Peace 9 - Done

Done except for a final front/rear derailleur adjust and a shakedown cruise to get the seat height plus shocks right. May rob the saddle off my GT Peace but otherwise pretty much the final form (no chainstay guard for photos). Oh yeah final dirty pics later.

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

bighit said:
Enjoy.

Make sure you follow the set up instructions to the tee on the rear shock. Too much of any one thing and you will get a very harsh ride.

Pretty stiff at the recommended sag, but that's how I like my suspension. Mixed up some Redline 15wt for the fork when I removed the spacer to get the full 140mm, lots of damping now. Made for a really smooth ride going down, pedaled real nice going uphill.

EDit: put it on youtube, as photobucket really blew for video

If thats the WTB...SpeedLine or something or Other...Its not a bad saddle

Im totally upgrading because something is wrong with my butt...And i was recommended one of those with the hole in the middle to relieve nerve problems :lol:

Edit-I have the same seat on my Raleigh

Edit again-Laser V?
Yeah i think thats it.

Yeah, the one in the pic is a WTB laser V, but after riding around on the street Saturday I yanked the Terry Liberator Y off my GT, WTB just not that comfortable. Use the Terry on all my MTB bikes, just keep an eye out for sales and nab one when I see it, very good for any numbness issues;

http://www.rei.com/product/685053

Gonna leave it for now, rear was active and compliant but not overly so. Very comfortable on the first ride and never had to go for the propedal. I'll get out this weekend for a longer test ride.

Took a look at your blog stuff on Interbike, think I saw most of it on mtbr already though. Need to go out for the Bootleg Canyon demos next year.

I think it's just a thing where you get used to something and that's it you go with it. The Terrys remind me of the mtb saddles from the mid to late 80s which were more of a touring saddle except these have more room for the junk.

Re: Ride In Peace 9 Done - Finally a decent shakedown ride

Took it up a local trail that's nice and rocky, steep, and has pretty tight switchbacks to test the handling and suspension (Elfin Forest - The Way Up Trail), felt great! Rear brake adapter loosened up slightly think it was some of the rattling right at the end, otherwise a great shakedown ride.

bighit said:
great video.

Thanks, the only other hitch was we took different trail that's rarely used to the top (we found out why) as it's a real beeotch to pedal up the one we came down (the one we took turned out worse - looked better on Google topo map), had to do some brush busting and the TST2 adjuster was knocked into or near the full lockout position still used up half the travel. Didn't notice until the bottom, re-oriented the red knob from factory setup so it doesn't happen again so easily.

I'm using the GoPro HD, this was in the WVGA 60fps mode 1, still takes up 460MB. The 720p mode @ 60fps would have been almost a gig for 7+ minutes. I'm using the chest mount pretty much exclusively for the MTB vids, need to point it up just a hair more, most guys put a sock under the plate, forgot mine all I had was a paper napkin in the vehicle. I also use this one on a surfboard with the waterproof back.

I have a Contour HD I've used with a top helmet mount but I think I'm going get rid of that, the helmet view just can't compare to the cockpit view of the chest mount. Way more mounting options with the GoPro also. The Contour picture is nowhere near as good either IMO, not really HD.

Back