Ride video question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking into getting a mount for my iphone to do ride videos with. I'm thinking a chest mount might be the way to go but I have no experience here. What do folks like to use to record their rides? I don't want to spend too much as I don't plan to start vlogging or anything. It would just be cool to have some ride videos to include in my build threads. Thanks!

I use

1. Cheap GoPro knock off from Amazon. Was like $65 and came with all sorts of mounts and options for bikes and stuff
2. My iPhone on a cheap powered gimbal from Amazon. Shove the gimbal handle into the center of a pool noodle and it allows me to be hands free while the gimbal stabilizes the shot

The chest mounts I found to add too much shaking and distortion. YMMV

I'm looking into getting a mount for my iphone to do ride videos with. I'm thinking a chest mount might be the way to go but I have no experience here. What do folks like to use to record their rides? I don't want to spend too much as I don't plan to start vlogging or anything. It would just be cool to have some ride videos to include in my build threads. Thanks!
My ride video on the Canal Cruiser is a good example how not to do it. I used a silicone rubber phone holder and bungie cords (shown in post). Nothing but shake, rattle and roll going on😵

I use

1. Cheap GoPro knock off from Amazon. Was like $65 and came with all sorts of mounts and options for bikes and stuff
2. My iPhone on a cheap powered gimbal from Amazon. Shove the gimbal handle into the center of a pool noodle and it allows me to be hands free while the gimbal stabilizes the shot

The chest mounts I found to add too much shaking and distortion. YMMV
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to look into the cameras on Amazon and a gimbal seems like a good idea. Where to you attach the pool noodle? To the bike or your person?
My ride video on the Canal Cruiser is a good example how not to do it. I used a silicone rubber phone holder and bungie cords (shown in post). Nothing but shake, rattle and roll going on😵

Kind of shaky for sure. I was also looking at making a chest mount from shock cord but it seems like a chest mount might not be the best option.

On youtube, Spindatt uses a chest mount sometimes and Sam Pilgrim uses helmet mount. But they are pros and have much better stuff than I'll be using.

Where to you attach the pool noodle? To the bike or your person?
In my stash bag on the handlebars

On youtube, Spindatt uses a chest mount sometimes and Sam Pilgrim uses helmet mount. But they are pros and have much better stuff than I'll be using.
And all the newer GoPro stuff has built in image stabilization

Latest posts

Back