Riff Ratt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The handlebar brace really needs to be curved to fit in. Off it came.
I assembled the bike for a test ride sometme in the near future. I thought everything would need tweaked to get the wheels aligned but it's good and everything lined up. I still have to drill a couple holes in the dropouts for the tabs on the stand. Chain and brakes also. I'm considering painting the fork ends black to match.
mock 27 Jun 21 - Copy.JPG

I like the fork ends the way they are. Carries the theme from the rear drop outs / springs. It looks perfectly balanced color wise to me right now!

I'll leave them as is. I tried my old Western Flyer headlight and it looks right to me. The drivetrain hooked up fine. I think the shifting will stay manual, no derailleur or anything, shift by hand. I'm pretty sure low gear will be the gear to use unless it's going down a mountain.
I need a extra long cable for the band brake. I have a cable housing that's just right, 6 feet long.

headlight 28 Jun 21.jpg

I love this build. It has such a Dr Suess vibe to it.

Dr. Seuss the riffraff type? I've never seen the guy, maybe so.
The rear stand isn't working out. I have to redo the dropouts to make it work and that area is busy already. The stand attached to the front like a cycle truck but I had visions of going over the handlebars. I'm going to try a center stand somehow.
1624881563199.png

WC, get your tech / Youtube savvy wife to film you riding this. I want to see those springs in action!

This build has great continuity and fluidity , and just enough cartoon wackiness to really catch your eye.

RiFf RaT oN~!

Agreed. Super cool

I can see myself riding it and making BOING BOING noises
Maybe I could rig one of these on a wheel so with each rotation it would make a boing sound:

1625185457938.png
But seriously, just a brass bell will be the noisemaker on this bike. But I thought of this first!
The rear stand didn't follow the flow of the bike, and I think I've got a mod for the center stand that might work. I came up with an idea for a build that will use the center stand later.
The brake is now working and I tightened up everything. Later I hope to have a test ride video to upload. Getting it up the stairs takes 2 people I think. It's not the weight, 40 lbs, but the length, about 7 feet.

Bunker b 8 May 21.JPG

Maybe I could rig one of these on a wheel so with each rotation it would make a boing sound:

View attachment 163222
But seriously, just a brass bell will be the noisemaker on this bike. But I thought of this first!
The rear stand didn't follow the flow of the bike, and I think I've got a mod for the center stand that might work. I came up with an idea for a build that will use the center stand later.
The brake is now working and I tightened up everything. Later I hope to have a test ride video to upload. Getting it up the stairs takes 2 people I think. It's not the weight, 40 lbs, but the length, about 7 feet.

View attachment 163223
I tried to play one of those things one time and almost lost a tooth 🤣

The test ride went well, no crashes or broken bones. The pedals were too close to the ground, scraped the pedals a couple times and damaged one of them. I think the cantilevers bent allowing the bike to ride lower, so I'll have to do some braces. I need another couple inches of ground clearance. I may get some metal and fab up longer brackets, using heavier steel if I have to buy it. Or mount the bottom of the shocks differently to get some height.

The chain skipped a few times but I didn't see why, it's lined up perfectly.

The test ride went well, no crashes or broken bones. The pedals were too close to the ground, scraped the pedals a couple times and damaged one of them. I think the cantilevers bent allowing the bike to ride lower, so I'll have to do some braces. I need another couple inches of ground clearance. I may get some metal and fab up longer brackets, using heavier steel if I have to buy it. Or mount the bottom of the shocks differently to get some height.
View attachment 163264
The chain skipped a few times but I didn't see why, it's lined up perfectly.
Beautiful scenery, and man you aren't kidding when you say it's hilly

I've seen the mountain bikes that have the pivot point a couple inches behind the BB so I figured with a freewheel it would work. If it still skips after taking out a few links and adjusting the tensioner, the springs will be just for looks and the rear will be solid. Maybe do a couple seat stays instead like a loop tail.

Latest posts

Back