Rims size

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound like really retarded... But say I want 26x3 tires is that also the rim size too?
Also Is there a site that sells the checker pattern rims? I saw some vid and was in love as soon as I saw it :)

Not really too sure how to answer that for you. It sounds as though you are looking to mount a 3" tire on a 26" wheel. You would want your wheel to be as wide as possible for this app. A 26" wheel rated for a 2.125 tire should accomodate a 3" tire nicely.They generally measure about an inch and a half across the rim face. A tire rated for a narrower tire like 26" x 1 3/8" not so much! The only real issues you may run into is clearance in your rear drop outs.Hope this helps. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!

26" is the nominal tire diameter. The actual inflated tire diameter changes based on tread pattern, rim width, tire width and pressure.

The important thing you need to know is the BSD... Bead Seat Diameter. For the common "26 inch" tires, it's 559mm. These are typically everything from 26x 1.5" up to 26x3.0".

Technically, any tire with 559mm beads will fit on virtually any rim. The 26x3.0 would fit just fine onto a cruiser or mountain bike rim designed for 26x2.125, for example. Squeezing it onto a rim made for narrower tires may be technically possible and turn out to be a bad idea.

For instance my old Trek 820 has 2.125 tires on rims that look to be only about an inch wide. They're pretty bulged out on those rims but they work fine and I've never had a blowout or tire off the rim. Fitting an even wider tire I think would be not recommended on those. On the other hand a steel cruiser rim with lots of width should fit either tire just fine.

Exceptions to the above sizing and interchangeability: Schwinn size S-7 tires and rims are labeled as 26x 1 3/4", NOT 1.75, and are larger and not compatible. Lightweight 26" rims are made in 2 sizes, both labeled 26x 1-3/8": Schwinn's S-5 (later bikes are S-6) are 597mm, and "other" brand lightweights used 590mm BSD tires. They're confusing unless you're knowledgeable about what you've got.

There are no stupid questions around here, so keep asking!

--Rob

Almasinfe said:
This may sound like really retarded... But say I want 26x3 tires is that also the rim size too?
Also Is there a site that sells the checker pattern rims? I saw some vid and was in love as soon as I saw it :)

:? I am more confused now lol... ok so the rim itself can be smaller then the tire I want to put on it? Like a 2 inch wide rim can hold a 3 inch wide tire?? I just want some fat rims and thick tires.. Since I am sooo confused I am very interested now :)

Checkered rims like these?
P8180012.jpg

Made them myself. Not really hard, just a little time consuming.
1) paint the rim the lighter of the two colors you're using
2) clear coat several coats, let dry thoroughly
3) cut the blue "painter's" masking tape into 1" squares
4) apply the tape to the rim
5) paint the darker color
6) remove the tape
7) lots of clear coat over all of it
8) marvel at your ingenuity! :wink:

Almasinfe said:
:? I am more confused now lol... ok so the rim itself can be smaller then the tire I want to put on it? Like a 2 inch wide rim can hold a 3 inch wide tire?? I just want some fat rims and thick tires.. Since I am sooo confused I am very interested now :)
yes...it can be smaller/narrower. What kind of wheels do you have now? Pics? Most 26" frames won't take 3" X 26"

Back