RIP Bo Diddley

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was an amazing performer. When I was 18 (around 1986 or so), my friends and I went to NYC for a few days to celebrate New Year's. We were walking around Greenwich Village and saw that Bo Diddley was playing at a club called The Village Gate. We checked out the show and it was great. During his set, he announced that it was his birthday and the crowd sang "Happy Birthday" him. Later on, some drunk guy in the front kept on shouting out requests. Bo finally got fed up and told the guy, "If you don't shut up, I'm going to move into your neighborhood and lower your property value."

I saw Bo Diddley at the Little Stevie Garage Festival in NYC in '04. Even though he only had a 20 minute set (apparently he wasn't as important as the Strokes, who got a half hour, and were essentially booed off stage before the reformed Stooges played) he was incredible. Aside from a set of mostly standards, (Who Do You Love, Bo Diddley, I'm A Man, etc.) he also played a really weird proto-rap song about how cool he was... One of the strangest and most memorable sets I've ever seen. He was a great innovater, and one of the most important men in the history of blues and rock&roll. He'll be missed.

Latest posts

Back