Road bike freebie..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this strange Road bike and never seen one built this way. All I know it say GMB 12 speed Deluxe. I took it to the bike shop and they told me the parts were more than the bike and someone had a deep pocket. I don't know anything bout these evil machines. So can someone explain me what I have?

Ok how about you gives the name and model of the brakes and the derailur, are there any other decals on the bike? Bicycle 808 has the right idea, but we need more detailed photos, then what has been shown. 2 or 3 photos won't help on iding this bike. It could be an early 1980's bike. But thats all I can say for now.

The derailleur is a S.R 555 and has a SRAM Quarq RIKEN Crank, Huret stem shifter and on the hubs reads Mavic Ksyrium. Idk what size the rims are though.My brakes read 650 B? all that is etched in the front. And cant take photos atm due to I got a old cell phone that makes to most unclear photos. Explain to me these names or do dads? Cause im uncomfortable with these types of bikes.

Derailleur is a Sun Race It is a copy of a Shimano RD 6200 or commonly called 600 Arabesque. But is not as well finished. Japan or Taiwan

Sram Quarq Today they are equip with a electronics that can tell speed and rpms. But without seeing them I can't tell. Sram makes nice products. Taiwan

Huret stem shifters Really old school friction shifters. They are ok they do the job. I don't like them I like my shifters on the down tube. France

Mavic Ksyrium Hubs. If well maintain I have not met a Mavic product that I haven't liked. They are a nice set of hubs. France

Brakes This is an issue. I still need to know who made them 650 b could be a model number. Judging from the photos I would say that they might be in the same class as shimano 600 or Diacomps brakeset. Japan

Shimano 600 parts during the late 1970's early 1980's was Shimano's mid level parts. These are nice parts. I raced on these parts during my road race period. Not the greatest parts but they do the job well.

I still need few more details on this bike. Is there a decal that tells you what tube set was used. I'm guessing that it might be Chrmoly but that is just a guess. Is there a name on the seat post (looking at the photos I judging it to be a nice post) Is there a name on the handlebars and stem? What about the pedels? I know this seems like I'm real picky about things but these small stupid details can add up.

On the whole I would say with gentle cleaning and lubing this could be a nice road bike. Not on the same level as my Trek 1500 or my Trek 560. but still a nice ride.

To tell you the truth I'm just as uncomfortable on some of these ratrods that I see as you are on a roadbike. But I'm here to learn a few things from you ratroders. As they sometimes say a Duck out of water which I am when I look at some of these ratrods or whatever you call them.

Last edited:
Froze by butt off today, I searched the handle bars and etched in the right Drive side postion is inscribed Lauterwasser with some fancy artwork around it.And the stem has Reynolds embossed on the side. Ill have to wait til me hands can warm up to pull the seat post out to what it says.

Ok. Lauterwasser bars are made by Soma they can be either Crmo or Alloy. If Bars are made by Soma they should have a shallow drop. Any product by Soma is nice, I wish I had em.. In the 1930's Jack Lauterwasser was a English Olympian, thus he design the bars. Japan, Taiwan maybe US not likely

Yeah it's cold here too. 1 degree with windchill factor of -7. keep warm!

Last edited:
I'm assuming that the tire size is 700x28s If not the are 27x1 1/8. If they are the 700 they should have a strange (to you) looking valve called presta. By 1980's the English had lost the bicycle manufacturing edge. That is why today most road bikes have 700 size tires. Which is a European standard as is the presta tire valve.

The seat post could be Japanese or Taiwanese. Perhaps SR Royalite. but not sure.

The frame itself could be entry level Japanese Frame but not sure of it.

Hope this has been helpful. So far the LBS has been truthful by saying the parts are worth more then the frameset. I added countries where parts are made that you gave me. Some of the things I just guess at in this post.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed all the info on this bike. Also checked the seatpost and in cursive it has the word Campagnolo 0021

Cleaned it up more and says Campagnolo 0021 Super Record its not aluminum cause it more heavier than a normal seat post like titanium or something

Seat post is most likely aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agreed with this post. It's Al record not Ti. It could be the saddle making it feel heavier then it actually is. Campy hadn't made steel bike components during the 1980's. If it is steel it's from an earlier time period and would have a model name like "Tipo". Super Record on ebay goes anywhere from 40.00 to 140.00. I almost betting on the 100. plus pricetage. If this was any other forum you would have offers to buy that part form you. This bike is far from being "evil".

Last edited:
Campy parts and steel rims, that's an unusual combination. I assume someone was upgrading an entry level bike with better parts. What name is on the downtube?

Perhaps this was someones idea of a joke. Could be that he was pulling the leg of some road biker elitist. If so LOL:21:. Just to make it clear I am a road biker. But I don't think I'm a road biker elitist.

I really appreciate help on this bike. And sorry if the pics are small taking them with my celluar device. Don't have a normal camera to spare atm so here are the Decal pics of the frame.

Also I might just take off the parts now knowing this and put them on my recumbent bicycle, since I rather ride that than my Sears 500 or Harley Co. bicycle

Also I might just take off the parts now knowing this and put them on my recumbent bicycle, since I rather ride that than my Sears 500 or Harley Co. bicycle
I don't know if I would do that. You need to find out if the crankset is square taper or something else. will it fit on the other bikes that you have? If not ry to sell it. I strongly suggest not modifing the seat post try to sell it along with the handle bars. There is market for those parts.

Back