Road bike tire size???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
70's Dawes that I wanted to swap out tires on BUT though they say 26 x 1 3/8 a 26 x 1.75 tire will not fit. The diameter of the rim is much bigger. Any ideas on a fatter tire i could fit on this style wheel?

IMG-20120617-00852.jpg

IMG-20120617-00854.jpg

You will notice there just isnt much tire clearance in the frame stays or the front fork on those framesets. That 26" dia and the bead dont correlate to typical 26" cruiser tires at all, but do not despair, nice Schwalbe 'Creams' fit and look fantastic as well as provide a wonderful ride.

I have the cream Schwalbes that gcrank mentioned on an AMF 3-speed. They look great against the original maroon paint. They'd look good on this bike too. What you have to realise is that 26x fractional number is not the same wheel size as 26x decimal number. This confuses a lot folks, its not just you. The 26" does not indicate the wheel size at all, but refers to the (theoretical) outside diameter of the inflated tire. There are probably 5 or 6 different wheel sizes that could be classified as 26", and none are compatible, but as only the one that's shared with mountain bike wheels is common, its easy to forget the others are still in use.

Interesting looking Dawes, Slowriderz.
I wish I could go wider too but I went better quality instead and was really pleased.
I like my Schwalbe Delta Cruisers (smooooth) on my Royce Union
Got them at Calhoun Cycle in Mpls, MN if you’re passing through (no shipping) $25.97 for either the WSW or full crème color
IMG_2322.jpg

For my Sears bike, Wanted black walls but didn’t want a cheap set ($8-$11 Kenda/Sunlite)
so I bought a set of Continental City Ride from Niagara Cycle works. Haven’t installed them yet though
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_inf ... _id=422818
early70sSearsPuch3spdcoaster.jpg

Good Luck

Those aren't the cream color tires on the Royce. They're the white walls, the creme tires are all off-white, no black tread. I'll have to post a picture of them on my Roadmaster, it seems that I don't have any of it with them on...

expjawa said:
Those aren't the cream color tires on the Royce. They're the white walls, the creme tires are all off-white, no black tread. I'll have to post a picture of them on my Roadmaster, it seems that I don't have any of it with them on...
You're right, those are the Delta Cruiser (WSW) and the solid color tires are the Delta Cruiser Creme, thanks

slowriderz said:
Nice rides there Coaster! I was think that as well after the info you all gave, Quality tire if I cant go fat. I guess getting over the fat tire thing is hard to do :D
Thanks!! Glad I could show you a vaible alternative

Saying that and discussing Roadmaters, my favorite "Go To" bike that I put on your other size
Using some cruiser Al rims and simple hubs, I was able to find the fattest tire I could fit
26" cruiser style (ISO 559) rims with Michelin Country Rock 1.75" , the other size you mentioned
Rides great, comfortable, and reasonably safe up to 1-2 inches of snow. Last winter's pic:
IMG_5172II.jpg

Rode last night along the river and it was great. Here's a daytime shot last fall:
70sRoadmaster.jpg

Niagara Cycle Works has the tires for a good price
They fit right where the frame is pinched for the fender, ~1/4" clearance each side,
It never rubbed :D I also like fat tires

Maybe another option...

Okay Rick, I went back in and tried to fix all the names
Sharp looking bike! I not only like the white grips but the white stitching on the seat
We have the same Roadmaster chainring :D
I wonder if that is what mine looked like before the previous owner stripped it down

It is a good-looking bike, especially with the matching saddle, as you noted. But that saddle is one of the most uncomfortable I've ever sat on. I think the padding is broken down inside, because it feels like you're sitting right on the seat pan. Actually, with my old Colson, I sit right on the seat pan, and it isn't this harsh. I usually pull a padded cover over the seat before riding it. I picked it up cheap last year because it's a frateral twin to my father's old bike. His is black w/chrome fenders, but otherwise the same bike. I put the Delta Cruiser white walls on that one.

Latest posts

Back