"road bike with Cruiser frame"what is the name for that ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a (Klunker) is: Old cruiser frame transformed in "mountain bike"
as a ( :?: ) is: Old cruiser frame transformed in "speed/road bike"

Thanks!

I vote "Roadster".
That would apply to any cruiser framed bike that is specifically set up for serious riding rather than style. My Dyno fits that category:
PICT0002.JPG

No frills at all- just a mile-eater, and a good one, too.

JWM

why not pile up the names for it and make a vote afterward to please the majority and find a official name for those cool bikes?

1- Speedster
2- Roadster
3- RC bike (road cruiser)
4- Croad bike or croadie
5- FBA (fast bike Anchor)
6- PC bike (Path cruiser)
7- RTR (road track racer)
8- :?:

my vote for now would be 1 or 2
Black_Sheep_road_cruiser.jpg
profile-IRIDE-track-bike-1200.jpg

"Zipper"

The Klunker name suggests it's solid but heavy. The Zipper name may suggest it's fast(er), but still a little more solid than a traditional road bike.

I'm interested in this because, while I'm not looking at using a cruiser frame, I'm looking at using a ruster old road frame to give it a ratty appearance. So, I'd like to know what to call it. "Zipper" came to my mind. "Croader" would follow in the same theme, but to me sounds like a type of frog. :lol:

i read somewhere that a klunker or Clunker is a junk balloon tire frame outfitted with deraileurs/shifters , with "tank/fenders/chainguard etc.." removed to transform it into a mountain bike

maybe cause of the Klunk klunk noise they use to make back in the days before they stip extra parts off of theme ? idk there no true answer to were the name came from as i know ,so the road/cruiser name could be anything..

since klunkers have become more a style of bike rather than only upgraded vintage balooner ,
the definition of a ????? would be: a vintage looking frame (cantilever/twin-toptube or exceptions)outfitted with "26 to 700c" wheels with skinny tires and built for performant road or track use (no diamond frames)

CRASH said:
"Zipper"

The Klunker name suggests it's solid but heavy. The Zipper name may suggest it's fast(er), but still a little more solid than a traditional road bike.

Would that mean the process of customising and a refurb could be called 'doing up your zipper'? :lol:

deorman said:
Personally, I'd say stick with rat rod. :idea:
nah ... radrods don't fit very well with good road performance IMO

I don't know what you call them but the minute someone comes up with a catchy name...

They'll be selling them at wall- mart.

Apologies if I'm committing Rat Rod blasphemy, but I have a retro mountain bike I'm considering 'cruiserfying'!!!

This is from a newbie Brit, so please show me the error of my ways if I'm thinking all wrong, but there are a limited number of 'original' cruisers about without spending silly pounds sterling!!! Plus 'she who must be obeyed' considers my 4 bike collection large enough so I'm trying to work with what I've got!!!

If you allow me to do my project (!!!) what would you call a cruiserfied mountain bike??? Would the name be the inverse of a mountainbike-ified cruiser???

Gary

Back