Road Master Assault..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get my hands on a old Road Master Assault MTB frame courtesy of the annual kerb side clean up :D I'm planning to make a Bobber from it after a few cuts here and there...

I've already chopped it and now im cutting up some tube to fill in the gap

Got more done, Hopefully i will weld it all tomorrow.
assaultbobber2.jpg[img]

Time to get started... Heres a pic of the wheel that i made

Time to get welding on the frame..

not much interest on this build

The frame looks great. I love the idea of a proper HD style frame, adult sized with no exagerated geometry, pedals where you'd actually want to put your feet etc. Do a google image search for "production bobber frame". A guy named Brett Maverik on a motor bicycle forum. He did something similar but without a full sized rear wheel. So many possibilities for dressing up a frame like this.

maxshnel said:
The frame looks great. I love the idea of a proper HD style frame, adult sized with no exagerated geometry, pedals where you'd actually want to put your feet etc. Do a google image search for "production bobber frame". A guy named Brett Maverik on a motor bicycle forum. He did something similar but without a full sized rear wheel. So many possibilities for dressing up a frame like this.

Thanks maxshnel, i'm the same. I do like the flowing bent stuff also but theres plenty around at the moment and its getting hard to do something different. I'll check out the frame you mentioned also 8)

Well frame is finished... I assembled it and its still hot from welding....lol I have to find the chain breaker to fit the chain then let it cool donw and go for a test ride..

That wheel is very cool.Did you weld the two rims together.Oh yea the frame is awsome,you got skills.

Jimmy65 said:
That wheel is very cool.Did you weld the two rims together.Oh yea the frame is awsome,you got skills.

Thanks guys :D

Yeh Jimmy its two rims welded together good to do to old banger rims but this isnt the only way to widen rims, ive done another two ways also.

Question for you with the rear joined rims- what kind of tube do you use? Are you running two skinnier tubes (one in each rim, side by side) or a single large tube? If a single large tube, does that work alright with the raised lip between the rims? It's a super cool way to make a large rim, I'm just curious about the details as I'd love to try this someday

Strings_and_steam said:
Question for you with the rear joined rims- what kind of tube do you use? Are you running two skinnier tubes (one in each rim, side by side) or a single large tube? If a single large tube, does that work alright with the raised lip between the rims? It's a super cool way to make a large rim, I'm just curious about the details as I'd love to try this someday

In this setup it is two rims and two tubes, I did it this way with these rims as they were old and not true due to who ever laced and over tightend the spokes. They werent quite round and had to be clamped back into shape, which is a pita but will come out true if done right. You can also run two narrower tires "Looks like that V10 Dodge bike"

Also with these particular rims it is quite easier to widened one rim if you buy them new as they are true and can simply be cut in half and widened. I did two burritos back in 09 that have a single rim widened on here not sure if i updated the pics tho..

Give it a go, it looks cool, not hard and custom 8) ...... If you need advice/help pm me im happy to help..

Goodluck.

Time for update,
Im not happy with the top tube bike looks to square...... so time to change :D Also feel the back wheel is not wide enough so i made another one.. which also meant i had to make a new upper rear stay 8)

Some swept back bars would make this bike look pretty cool I think, and I'm diggin' the creativity in the creation of the frame, thats really cool!

Back