Roadmaster Boardtrack Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some progress pics of my first build. I am thinking about a traditional boardtrack style using as many original parts as possible. I plan on having the frame and wheels sandblasted then rattlecan paint job, red oxide primer with a little metalic bronze for a faux rust finish and the cliche red rims with white walls. I am going to recover the seat with white vinyl and use white grips and pedals. I have a lot of rust polishing and grease removal ahead of me. Enjoy the pics and any input would be appreciated.

The bike as found on CL
DSCF1110.jpg

Stripped down
DSCF1395.jpg

I have'nt looked up the serial yet so any info would be great
DSCF1393.jpg

Found the headlight on ebay
DSCF1397.jpg

Bucket o' parts
DSCF1399.jpg

Wheels and Hubs, Morrow hub dated 1941
DSCF1398.jpg

DSCF1394.jpg

Rusty seat soaking in vinegar
DSCF1396.jpg

Thanks for looking.

looks like a good start.
thats a neat headlight.
was the seat soaking in vinegar? cus i cant see any liquid in there.
whats the point of vinegar? does it get rid of the rust?? is it white vinegar or that brown looking one???

Thank you. Yes it is soaking in just plain old white vinegar. The acid in the vinegar eats the rust. It's a trick I learned here on the board.

melt10128-vi.jpg

BLACKIE003-vi.jpg

Neat project...this is my Roadmaster repop I stripped down for a Hot Rod look.Then I got a pinstriper to lay some work on it.
BLACKIE002-vi.jpg

That probably is a 41 J, I believe the postwar frames don't have the tabs on the rear dropouts, they're for a drop stand. -Adam

Thanks for the responses so far.

GTX - Sweet Ride!

Ratina - Not using the rack on this build.

Rustinkerer - Thanks for the info. I searched for some serial info last night, but as everyone on here probably already knows there is no definative serial pattern to determine the year.

Hi,

I’m checking in a bit late but I have been trying to catch up with several questions and PM’s here and on the CABE. This bike is the final evolution of the CWC “Bent-Tank” frame as it has the upswept chain stays, which were introduced for 1939, and the curved down tube, which was “introduced” in the 1941 model year catalog.

In reality, (well, I guess I mean my reality….) my serial number model predicts that G98476 was probably produced in the latter part of 1940. Typically, new features were designed, introduced, and put into production throughout the year as they were developed and may postdate inclusion in that years catalog but in actual production can predate the year they are associated with.

Back