Rocinante

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Krusty Klunker!
IMG_1226.JPG

It's a postwar Hawthorne 24" frame built up with a 24" mountain bike rear wheel and derailleur and 26" front for a 46er mullet. The fork is an early '90s AMP Research linkage fork that was originally on my buddy's mountain bike back in the day; it's now living a new life klunking the Sierra. BMX bars and stem I had left over from another project on a quill stem adapter. Late model Schwinn cruiser cranks and sprocket. Old BMX pedals and vintage grips plus an (almost) comfy pre-loved Brooks round out the ergo package. Build thread here:

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/rocinante-my-krusty-klunker.116316/
With a late start I decided to see what I could do using just parts on hand. Here's the initial pile of potential:
IMG_1119.JPG

After a few mock-ups this one won out:
IMG_1123.JPG

Some alterations to accommodate other parts:
IMG_1163.JPG

And we were off to the races:
IMG_1180.JPG

And there she be:

IMG_1190.JPG

A (very) quick video:

I think it came out pretty well all things considered. And it actually rides great! It feels pretty much like it looks, a fun little BMX-ish klunker. I'd love to take it over to Mammoth to try some flow trails with it. I have to give credit to Shoestring by @Bike from the Dead for inspiring me to get involved in the Build Off with a krusty bike of my own. It has been a super fun experience and I wound up with another really cool and fun klunker!

Last edited:
You built a fine klunker there Pondo! I'd argue you stuck closer to "using what you have" better than I did! I'm glad I helped inspire you to enter and build your own bike for the Build Off, but I'm even happier to see you cross the finish line with your bike! Good job dude! Well done!

You built a fine klunker there Pondo! I'd argue you stuck closer to "using what you have" better than I did! I'm glad I helped inspire you to enter and build your own bike for the Build Off, but I'm even happier to see you cross the finish line with your bike! Good job dude! Well done!
Thanks man! It has been really fun. It looks like Shoestring is ready to rock as well and looking great, good job!

Pondo, glad you jumped aboard the build off train! Nice work on the krusty klunker!

Thanks man! It has been really fun. It looks like Shoestring is ready to rock as well and looking great, good job!
It definitely looked like you were having a blast! YUP! I just need to sort through all 1,000+ shots I took between last night and today, so I can have the external hard drive space needed to shoot a few more photos tomorrow. Once I pick my best pics, I'll be joining you in the Finished Build threads! Thanks!

It definitely looked like you were having a blast! YUP! I just need to sort through all 1,000+ shots I took between last night and today, so I can have the external hard drive space needed to shoot a few more photos tomorrow. Once I pick my best pics, I'll be joining you in the Finished Build threads! Thanks!
Awesome, looking forward to it!

Awesome build. Crazy front fork and rear derailleur set up.

amazing you got that thing together. a lot of cool technology wrenched into that old beast!

Latest posts

Back