Rod Brake Friday!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went to pick up a rear rack for the Deluxe Racer I got this week. Walked out with these two old rod brake bikes, and a bunch of parts.
The first one may be French judging by the components, Huret(?) made in France. Head badge says "Express Established". Didn't realize I hadn't taken a full pic of the bike until I was back at work. That will just have to wait.

2010-10-08171526.jpg

2010-10-08171534.jpg

2010-10-08171540.jpg

2010-10-08171605.jpg

The other is a D.H.S. New Sensui. It must be a nice bike since it says "High Class New Model De Luxe". It is sporting 26" wheels and a sweet drop-stand.

2010-10-08171344.jpg

2010-10-08171321.jpg

2010-10-08171330.jpg

2010-10-08171427.jpg

2010-10-08171444.jpg

the chainguard on the first one is pretty cool, I love the dog on it. Its little things like that that get me excited about bikes. If for some crazy reason you ever part that bike out keep me in mind for the chainguard.

Nürnberg is 3.5 hours away from my hometown Heltersberg..... Cool bike... Might be interested in a purchase if ya decide to let it go. Sie immer des Gastes die gute stuff .... Lucky Summe gun!

These cost me my red Hawthorne middleweight and a little cash. I think the brakes from blue one will get transplanted to the green one so I can lose the caliper brakes. Unless someone can point me in the direction of new rod brake parts?

Finally found a bike for my hair-pin seat.
2010-10-09014347.jpg

And perhaps a bike to hold my new headlight?
2010-10-09014833.jpg

2010-10-09014844.jpg

2010-10-09014858.jpg

At some point in time the rod brakes were removed and replaced with caliper brakes. Anyone know where I can find replacement rod brake parts?

And I am really digging the fully enclosed chain guard on the other bike

2010-10-09014121.jpg

Hairpin yes... Headlight no.... Maybe on a big 3" fat tired bike... That thing is to heavy lookin for a skinny bike....

WOW! Those are cool euro rides! I love the angle of the seat tube on the blue bike. Now you know what our friends 'across the pond' probably feel like when they find a vintage Schwinn! :D

When you can, could you take some pics of the gold pinstripes on the green bike?

Cheers!
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
When you can, could you take some pics of the gold pinstripes on the green bike?
Dr. T

They are so faded my camera on my phone won't pick them up. They are basically twin lined boxes. Looks like they were pretty crisp back in the day. I'll try to borrow a better camera to snap some pics for you.

When you posted a photo of that headlight on the other thread with your hand in front of it, I still couldn't tell how big it was until you put it on that bike. haha, wow.

udallcustombikes said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:
Dr. T

They are so faded my camera on my phone won't pick them up. They are basically twin lined boxes. Looks like they were pretty crisp back in the day. I'll try to borrow a better camera to snap some pics for you.

Thanks dude!

The mystery around the DHS bike deepens. I began tearing into it trying to determine anything I can about it's past. The bars/stem, crank arms, even the bell are marked DHS. The chain ring cover is embossed "De Luxe Dohi Bicycle" (might be Dahi). The fenders are stainless and the wheels are marked ARAYA 26X1 3/8 W/O. What does it all mean????

DHS ... Largest Bicycle manufacturer in Romania
Araya rims ... Aftermarket Japanese replacement rim
Luxe in some european languages = coffee or toffee and the DE = The
Other than that im stumped... never seen one and probably never will other than yours... It's a riddle

Back