Roller brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problems with opinions, as long as they tell me what I want to hear... I think it's funny there are guy saying how much the roller brake sucks and there is another post right now with people complaining about modern coaster brakes. I have a few electras 1 and 3 speed and I think the cb is fine. I'm not familiar with the roller brake and am just curious about it. All replies are welcome here.

Actually a picture of a disc brake really didn't help me at all to understand the workings of a roller brake. Nor did a picture of a hub with no brakes at all. Coincidentally, neither did a bunch of posts about the quality or application of said roller brakes. Lets face it, no brake works perfect in every application. We all know this.
Kingfish actually helped answer the literal question for me quite directly with all that needed to be said after I simply clicked on the link to the information from the guru of bicycles.
You gave some really good input to the question "How well does a roller brake work?", though, had that been asked.

The OP asked about the availability of a disc-brake Nexus 3; hence, that picture of a disc-equipped Nexus 3. The OP asked if a roller brake can be added to any hub (specifically a coaster hub); the picture of a hub with "no brakes at all" was shown so the OP could see what was required on a hub to be rollerbrake compatible. (Those little splines are only on some Shimano Nexus and Nexave hubs; SRAM's site claims that some of their IGHs are designed to be Shimano roller brake compatible, too, but I haven't come across any yet.) And, in post #10, the OP does ask directly for opinions on how well the roller brakes work.

When a waitress asks you "how does your lunch taste?", do you explain to her that you chew on the sandwich and nerve-endings on your tongue process various flavors which your mind analyzes regarding the flavor? Or do you offer an opinion, such as "pretty good" or "lousy"? (I haven't ever encountered a waitress that asked me "How well does your lunch taste"...)

Fact is, the OP did ask about compatability, and many of us offered info on that. And, opinions are to be expected almost everywhere, especially on a forum called "Bike Talk", where someone asked about how a bike product works. You're not the OP and, oh! I'm sorry, what was your contribution to this thread? No information at all, and some complaints about the presence of relevent opinions on a thread about rollerbrakes. Congrats.

You have to understand that CeeBee can be obsessive/compulsive about counting how much or how little people do various things on RRB. I don't think he means any harm by his mocking, it's just his nature (as far as I can tell). You can easily find examples of him complaining about or mocking various topics: How many posts, how many votes, how may "proper" responses to a question, how many doodads on a build, how many pics posted, how much feedback, how much humor, how many "quality" builds, how many pages in a build thread, how many non-build off builds, how many references to hot rods or rat rods, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. It's all just part of being in a forum community. We are all different with different opinions.
It can be fun to have a blunt curmudgeon around. :bigboss:

Last edited:
Haven't fished in years; but I do go on bike rides daily, hikes a couple times/week... How bout you? Do you have any relaxing hobbies, beyond setting up multiple RRB accounts?
do you ever just go outside and just smell the roses or something, possibly go fishing?

It can be fun to have a blunt curmudgeon around. :bigboss:

Hey, I have nothing but respect for curmudgeons. I'm a journeyman curmudgeon myself; in about 3 years, I'll be 40 and ready to become a master-level grumpy old man. Once I'm doing full-fledged curmudgeon work, though, I intend to make it count.

Okay...okay... Too much, or not enough info. Its a never ending story either way.

Here is a simple explanation, drum brake. Here is my opinion, sucks on downhills like one of the other members explained. Hopefully people cheer up, it's the weekend already. For those of you that work the weekend, you are allowed to be grumpy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's sucks on downhills compared to???

...Coaster brake.

Here is my experience. I had it installed on my dyno roadster and when I needed it most (going downhill) it caused a brake fade effect like on overheated brakes on a car. Had to slam my foot to the ground before I merged into cross traffic.

Brake fade can happen with any brake system, but I never had an issue with a coaster brake going downhill.

I wanted to keep the roller brake so I installed an SA front drum brake and now I have stopping power.

It really comes down to personal needs.

I'm a huge SA drum brake fan, but I gotta say that most every hub brake fades on downhills, due to heat accumulation. But, I gotta agree with rydr1 that the rollers seem to suffer the most. I guess Shimano intended them for townie/commuter bikes, where sustained braking isn't part of the usual routine. I've found the SAs will fade if I ride offroad and brake a lot, but they hold up pretty well. Coasters do well downhill, but you gotta keep up with repacking them frequently if you're frying the grease frequently....

Back