Rollfast muscle bike turned cruiser for my son

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A number of months ago plankowner came down and I gave him a bunch of bikes, he in turn left me with this little Rollfast frame. Pretty sure it's supposed to be a muscle bike, but I've been dreaming it up as a little cruiser for my son. Today the neighbor gave me a little girl's 20" Bratz bike (not the lowrider one) and it had these blue wheels with twisted spokes, so I threw them on... man, this bike will be sweet for the little man!

photo1_zps05d94206.jpg

Can't stop looking at this photo.

The paint is orange, almost General Lee orange, and it's got some nicks, dings, and scratches, but I am a firm believer that no paint is better than factory paint.

I'd been thinking about painting it though and going with a wheel color, but now that these blue ones are on it, I can't stop looking at it.

Thinking that I might make a tank. A rear bobbed fender is coming, a small chainguard with some style. No banana seat, just an old spring saddle, I don't want this looking like a muscle bike since it's that size. Truss rods, not sure on bars yet, but again, no apes so it won't look muscle. Nothing wrong with muscle bikes it's just that I'm going for mini cruiser.

My son is currently on a 16" bike and I have put him on 20" BMX bikes and he can ride them, but he can't stand over and he is stretched out on the bars, but this frame is so small I think he can handle it as is.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

aka_locojoe said:
I like the color combo you got going now.

I wasn't sure as I was carrying the new wheels/tires up the steps to the frame, but they look great on it. Electra makes those kids saddles that are white with a checkered line down the middle and on the back and you can get one with orange checkers for about $15, but the blue checkers is about $25. I think I'm just going to cover an old seat I have.

Yeah, I'm sticking with the colors. :mrgreen:

yoothgeye said:
I am a firm believer that no paint is better than factory paint.

I agree. :D

Cool looking cruiser...look forward to the finished product. 8)

sleepy said:
yoothgeye said:
I am a firm believer that no paint is better than factory paint.

I agree. :D

Cool looking cruiser...look forward to the finished product. 8)

Thanks, I think the thing that has impressed me so much about this bike is not of my doing, but the proportions for a mini-cruiser are spot on. In the photo above that bike could easily be a 26", but it's a 20".

It's not a perfect match blue with the rims, but I think that would look slick on that bike!!!

That orange one sure is slick too!!

S197-Super-72-Junior-Orange.jpg

Did you see the checkered mirror?

M056.jpg

Don't foresee a mirror on this bike, trying to decide between a tank, a tank plate, or nothing.

Grabbed some rusty bits from the parts bin a few minutes ago. I that that fender came off of a smaller bike, I might have another 20" fender, but probably just 1. The chainguard has lots of modification potential, but actually fits pretty well:

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

Heh, I actually have one of those Bratz bikes myself. They have kind of a cool frame too, with the rear "fender" actually just being an extension of the frame. They kind of remind me of a trials motorcycle.

I ended up doing it up to match an adult cruiser (mother and daughter):

nolobratz.jpg

Still have them. It was a friends kids bike he wanted gone, and I was actually after the 20" whitewall tires for another project. Seems like 20" whitewalls are hard to come by, most girls bikes seem to have all white tires.

Toeslider said:
Still have them. It was a friends kids bike he wanted gone, and I was actually after the 20" whitewall tires for another project. Seems like 20" whitewalls are hard to come by, most girls bikes seem to have all white tires.

Yep, I get lots of girls bikes with either white MTB tread tires or black BMX tread tires. When I saw these whitewalls I wanted them on this bike, but then I put the wheel/tire combo on the bike and it just looked right.

Back