Rollfast tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been forever since I even lurked on this forum, but I thought I'd show off some finds. I had an old copper washing machine c1900's on CL for a while & mentioned that I'd gladly trade for old bikes. A woman called & asked if I'd be interested in "a big green bicycle built for 2...no name on it, looks like an old Schwinn" Of course I said yes & a couple days later this is what I got (along w/a Magna mtn. bike that I sold in no time 4 $25)

tandem1.jpg

tandem4.jpg

After I found this pic, I determined it must be a Rollfast frame.
tandem3.jpg

Every component looks to be new, all the chrome is Wald, the wheels are Asian imports, but w/THICK spokes. You'll notice the fenders don't fit quite right, I'll have to drill out the brackets to correct that. The thing weighs a ton & just barely fits in my Volvo 240 wagon (w/back seat folded down of course). It rides smooth & slow, even w/2 riders. Walking in to the show in Saline, I saw this Hawthorne, right before my camera batteries died. DOH!

IMG_8390.jpg

Later on, I saw a rough Rollfast tandem that had sold in the auction for $50. The guy who bought it was basically going to do to his what was done with mine--strip it down & replace all the old components. I have my tandem on CL right now for $175/obo, though I may just keep it if it doesn't sell soon (lots of interest, but the usual flaking out). My wife wasn't crazy about riding on it & I have no garage. It does have nice lines, though.

I really dig the lines of this frame,too. Reminds me of a Spaceliner, where as most diamond frame tandems look just like 2 frames stuck together. Does anyone know how to date Rollfasts? There's a number on the dropout. I don't know much about the Rollfasts, but I've wanted one just because they're oddballs & you know, they have those bearings that make you go faster :wink:
I'm still leaning toward selling this one because my financial situation isn't great, (to put it one way) & I'm thinking it would be much more usable if I ditched the fenders & put on a set of aluminum hybrid rims w/quick releases & a Nexus or something similar in back. I like green, but there are so many other shades I like better & there's so much room for hanging accessories, I could go crazy buying those & what about a springer & a drum brake, etc, etc....bottom line, sometimes you've got to sell a perfectly ridable bike, before it turns into a big & spendy project. Am I right?

cman said:
Cool frames on those. You might try syncing the cranks to make for a better ride.

Hey, thanks for the tip--I hadn't thought of that. Shows how much I know about tandems, even though I was practically born on the 3rd seat (steel Schwinn baby seat) of my parents' Huffy Daisy.

Sold it this morn, thanks to the CL. It's an anniversary present for someone. A guy associated w/an office adjacent to my house complimented me on the tandem & mentioned that there's a Schwinn tandem that's "been hanging in his garage since the '60's waiting to be restored". Hmmm...

Back