Rolling Smoke... BBQ trailer Finished Pics!! 9-26-09

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been smoking meat for about 10 years now and enjoy it as a hobby, plus its just good eatin! I have an original Oklahoma Joe smoker that I inherited from a friend of the family that passed away. Its large enough to smoke a large quantity of meat and sometimes I dont want to fire it up to do smaller portions for just the wife and I.

So I decided to build a smaller version, and of course once I started messing with bikes I figured why not combine the two? So a couple years back I decided I wanted a smoker that I could mount on a trailer to be pulled behind a bike. I can use it around the house and also hitch it to the bike and take it with me.

I finally got my bike done, so now there is no excuse to build the BBQ trailer.... I am naming it "Rolling Smoke"
Got started on it a week ago, and the smoker part is almost done, just have a few details to complete. Its made from two propane tanks, the smoke chamber is a 40 or 50# tank, and the firebox is a regular 20# gas grill tank. I was able to find both tanks for free since they had the old valves on them.

SAFETY WARNING... If you decide to do this, please be careful! To make the tanks safe to cut into... I unscrewed the valve and filled the tank completely with water, then re-installed the valve. At this point it was safe to cut.

Now that the smoker is almost done I will start on the trailer sometime this weekend, It will be using conduit (3/4" or 1") since this thing is pretty heavy! I also racked my brain on figuring out the hitch, and I think I got it figured out.

Stay tuned for Pics!!

Re: Rolling Smoke... BBQ trailer

Yes I have seen that one, and its the one that gave me the inspiration to build my own version.

Mine will be similar as far as having the same concept, but it will also be different because of the smoker.

I will have pics soon.

Ok, Here are a few pics of the smoker, I still have to build and install a latch for the firebox end door.
I think it came out awesome! It measures approx. 36" long by 12" wide and weighs a whopping 60# !!

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Just for reference here is my Okie Joe smoker...
bbq003.jpg

I will also be mounting a cooler to the trailer, I found this little Thermos brand metal cooler on Craigslist for $20... It will get the Rat treatment before Im done.

008-1.jpg

Better have gears. :shock: Very cool.

Oops... no gears!

In reality I probably wont be making any road trips with the trailer, just short rides.

Actually I have a S/A 3 speed coaster that I could use. If that dont work, I guess its time to hit the gym! lol :D

I hope so!

Time is running short since I want to have it done for the Midwest Bikefest which is two weeks away! :oops:

I also have two other bikes that I want to get completed in time for the show, plus I have 35# of pork butts to smoke sometime between now and then. busy busy busy

The good part is the trailer will be a pretty simple deal and easy to build. Gee I hope I just didn't jinx myself!!! :roll:

Dude, just the looks of the smoker tells me this thing is going to be sweet. Cant wait to see. Too bad we dont live closer to each other. I think people would trip seeing two BBQ trailers towed behind rat bikes.

Sorry for not updating... Ive been busy trying to get it built.

I got the trailer almost done, everythng is mounted to it, Im at the point now where I am mounting the wheels and figuring out the hitch and hitch bar. Hope to have it completely finished and painted in the next couple of days. Oh and I figured out a neat way to finish off the firebox door latch... have you ever seen a Hurst shifter on a smoker??? :lol:

Legburner, heck yeah we could feed an army with these!!

Done some painting tonight, just gotta finish up with the cooler and it will be a done deal.

Only one major problem... the axles are bending under the weight of this thing. anybody know where to get heavy duty axles?

They are a 5/16 x 24 thread and seem to be pretty soft, and since Im only mounting them one one side the stress is too much. I thought about finding a 5/16 x 24 bolt in grade 8, but Im not sure they come in the length I need with a full thread, most of the longer bolts Ive seen are only threaded about halfway.

BTW... I am running 26 x 1 3/8 wheels which dont seem to help. Im sure a set of 20" wheels would have worked just fine. I cant really switch now since it would mess up my hitch mounting position.

Will a good LBS carry a heavy duty axle? or just hack it up with a grade 8 bolt?

Any other ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Finished pics coming soon, thanks for being patient.

you really need to have mounting on 2 sides of the axle. Or find your self a wheel chair setup.

Finally done,

Took it for a test spin and the grade 8 bolts (axles) held up just fine, did discover a problem with my hitch, but fixed it right back up in a few minutes.

Time for pics...

009.jpg

010-1.jpg

1st gear.... Open

011.jpg

2nd gear... closed

012.jpg

013-1.jpg

hitch detail (yes its an air coupler)

014-1.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

Smokin

018.jpg

I'm very impressed. I wish we could ride together with the meat smoking. Anyway very cool. We're brothers now.

Back