Romet Tyler with Questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this Romet "Tyler" in the trash today. Aired it up and it rides great. Has new Kenda 26" gum walls on it. They still have all the casting tips.
1000002154.jpg

I'm wondering about the 3 speed. It is in 2nd which is great if it is frozen. It is a Shimano hub. The shifter and cable is gone.

Is there something missing the cable attaches to?

1000002160.jpg

How do I hand shift it to see if it is worth trying to find a cable?

I have been looking for a diamond frame. I want to make a faux bamboo frame like Wildcat made. I don't guess this bike is of any value.

1000002156.jpg

1000002158.jpg

Cable emd will habe a threaded bsrrel ; that screw onto that..
That's what I figured. If I can't find one I could find a long coupling nut that thread and fix a cable to it. I'll need a shifter too.

Found this Romet "Tyler" in the trash today. Aired it up and it rides great. Has new Kenda 26" gum walls on it. They still have all the casting tips.
View attachment 278824

I'm wondering about the 3 speed. It is in 2nd which is great if it is frozen. It is a Shimano hub. The shifter and cable is gone.

Is there something missing the cable attaches to?

View attachment 278827

How do I hand shift it to see if it is worth trying to find a cable?

I have been looking for a diamond frame. I want to make a faux bamboo frame like Wildcat made. I don't guess this bike is of any value.

View attachment 278828
View attachment 278829
That's a good candidate for a bamboo paint job, all straight tubes. New seat too, it must have been a fixup project that someone lost interest in.

Can you pull up on that shift bolt? It looks like it's in 3rd gear but hard to tell from the pic. If it won't move then it'll need to come off. There's a rod there in the axle that also will come out and everything will need looked at closely to decide where to go from there.

That's a good candidate for a bamboo paint job, all straight tubes. New seat too, it must have been a fixup project that someone lost interest in.

Can you pull up on that shift bolt? It looks like it's in 3rd gear but hard to tell from the pic. If it won't move then it'll need to come off. There's a rod there in the axle that also will come out and everything will need looked at closely to decide where to go from there.
Whoever was working on it left out a serrated part of the seat clamp on each side and that made the seat impossible to set. I changed to a complete clamp and all was well.

Latest posts

Back