Ross with interesting BB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story Long. Finally getting around to posting this. Responded to a CL ad at Christmas time. Bad picture, and even worse weather, but the seller assured me it had a brown leather seat on it. So I made the trek through ice and snow, and this is what awaited me. A junky ole Ross, with a red vinyl seat, complete with spray painted whitewalls. The sellers only saving grace? He was dumb as a box of rocks, and truly thought the seat was leather. Anyway, since it was a 60 mile round trip, I beat him down to nothing on price, and bought it anyway.
A few weeks later, a friend and fellow RRBer started making fun of my purchase, but pointed out that it has a fixed rear wheel, and clutched Bottom Bracket. Pretty cool, I thought. Now what to do with it?? (the bottom bracket guts, that is) Any thoughts??.........

thanks for lookin,
Jules

016-2.jpg

010-7.jpg

011-13.jpg

012-11.jpg

I have a 84'? Panasonic Tourist 10 speed 3 piece BB. Same deal. locked cassett and clicking BB. don't see that too often. Need some bars and TLC and then its time to flip. Mine was free, in a garbage pile.

I've got a Schwinn Suburban that has the same thing, it's odd lol

Forward Freewheel System..allows you to shift while coasting....heavier than heck too!! :mrgreen:

Almost, Shimano Front freewheeling system.As mentioned, allows the rider to shift w/o pedaling(recomended). Very nice to use on a balloon cantilever frame, 10 speed beach cruiser in a snap! By shifting with no tension on the drive train, things tend to wear a little better. Down side is that the cassette has many small parts, i.e.spacers, springs and retainers(tiny) per every gear on the cassette!This makes keeping it clean a bear, a good scrub w/mineral spirits and a pressurised air blow/dry is about your safest bet.Just pair it up w/Positron derailers for the most positive shifting ever! And the most obsolete :wink: I have actually run this system a couple of times in the early 80's and liked it very much.I would not recomend it for trail riding, that "keep it clean" thing again.Later & PEACE!!!!

Thanks Slick I've been wondering some of that stuff too lol I find it a neat system, and i'm canadian so seeing this is weird lol alot of people give me odd looks at some of my american bikes. they are awesome!

yeah, ive eard of the shimano ffw system. never tried it, but i chaulk it up with the other crazy early 80's shimano systems (positron). its cool that there are still some on the road.

Thats a cool setup man, i had one that i put on the back of a tandem bike so the person riding on the back ( my wife) could coast while i did the peddaling :x . It worked better than her putting her feet on the handlebars on the back :lol:. I wish i had a picture of it but i sold it before i met Ratrodbikes.com

maddogrider said:
Thats a cool setup man, i had one that i put on the back of a tandem bike so the person riding on the back ( my wife) could coast while i did the peddaling :x . It worked better than her putting her feet on the handlebars on the back :lol:. I wish i had a picture of it but i sold it before i met Ratrodbikes.com

Now that's an idea! I think we have it. I've been planning a rear steer tandem anyway, and with this, I could set the front up with it, and I could run the back, with steering, pedaling, and coaster braking.
Thanks for the idea!
Regards,
Jules

Back