Rotisserie A La Artiste

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the painting of "Ambitious Muscle" last week (even though a failure) its given me a bug to go further with the acrylic painting,
The daughter and I have began construction of a spinning matt of which we can place a canvas on and then someone spins it from behind and the Artist hiffs and throws or even pours the runny acrylic on, the spinning motion and centrifugal forces should give us a cool design.
Its base is a fork and front wheel set up off a Huffy "Green Machine" kids slider, the same as this one in the pic but Green!
PXL_20231215_001515550~2.jpg

I was gonna use this set up for another jack shaft to step around a large tyre, like 250-300mm, I have others but the fork set up for the green machine is a bit "Terminator" styled and wouldnt suit a pushy so it gets used here.
Ive pulled the entire wheel apart which is something ive not ever done, was quite cool and is the first step in me actually building a wheel set myself, given me inspiration sorta!
Those big black covers may end up on a build of some sort too. The mechanics of these uni cycle type hubs is actually quite strong, hence using for a step around,and their design lends itself nicely to adding sprockets to either side. they have a good strong bearing set up to handle dig kids hunkering down and pedalling like mad to get some speed out of these things. its actually way overkill for what we're building but its the design that we're after,

PXL_20231214_235928646.jpg

So here is a mock assembly, I plan to mount the forks on a base of some sort, You can see we only use one crank and pedal, the other side gets the round 10mm plywood attached to it and from there we attach the canvas to the ply..... we then spin it fast and throw paint over it!
This is just a day project and we should be done soon!

PXL_20231215_001401875.jpg

Well I did say it was a day project and we finished already.
At first it was gonna be vertical like a fun fair spinning wheel, after thoughts said this was a bad idea and we mounted it horizontally.

PXL_20231215_055012792.jpg

I raised these small timber screws that were already mounted in the plywood cut round, I used this plywood for various things over the years and these screws just plain got left in there, I cant even remember what they were for but raised a wee bit they fit snuggly inside a canvas frame which holds it in place while I spin it!
PXL_20231215_055129559.jpg

Turns out the crank and pedal wasnt turning the plywood fast enough so I ended up just grabbing the protruding spindle underneath and spinning it with my fingers, I think a good estimate would be about 200-300prm, which is more than enough in fact it turned out just right.

PXL_20231215_055051165.jpg

Aside from getting covered in flecks of water based acrylic I used a 1msquare piece of plaster board to shield the daughter, worked great for her but I got hammered, so we gotta look at some form of protection for the poor guy that has to spin it, until I come up with a motorised version!
But we did a test run on one of the daughters failed spare canvas's. a project that got shelved (yes even artists suffer the postponed project dilemma)
to say it came out ok is an under statement, im over the moon with our practice run, in fact we've called it "Galactic Nebula" ...im a JWST fan big time!
Thats it for this one....Done N Dusted! the "Rotisserie A La Artiste" (no I speak no french but it sounds cool)

original_b5a289c0-30cc-4893-bd87-a520fca232f6_PXL_20231215_054830167.jpg

Back