Roundy Pounder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty much my second old bike build up. The first was that Stingray I posted back when I joined. The frame I'm starting is a CWC Roadmaster, early 50s from what I can tell. So far all I've got for sure is the frame, a New Departure rear coaster brake rear wheel, a Wald front wheel, and the crankset that's on it. Tomorrow I'm going on a parts run to the local bike co-op to rustle up some parts, hopefully a pan seat, definately different forks, a stem, some old bars...you know. I'm also thinking about ordering some Quick Bricks from a Felt dealer in town, anybody have anything good/bad to say about them?

When done I'd like this bike to have the low boardtracker look to it, and it's main purpose will be to terrorize every hipster riding a fix gear around campus. Not that I don't already try to race/cut them off on my Stingray, but with this bike I'll be able to give them a run for their money!

DSCN0050.jpg

Hopefully updates tomorrow night!

Can't wait for the updates. Not rushing you but hurry up. I feel like it's going to be very cool.

looks like a good start man. and a good idea/vision ya got.

i've got a sugestion for ya....because i can see yer a fan of the stones....

my current build is "BROWN SUGAR". i was gonna use another rolling stones song for my next bike,but it mite be rite for you.
you can use it to name yer bike or not, but i would strongly suggest you "PAINT IT BLACK"

I don't really know how big the frame is exactly, but it's a 26" bike, I made the mistake of not bringing a tape measure to college...

I think I might try and make a panel for it, and stencil "Roundy Pounder" on it. It's what my dad calls the outlaw sprint cars, and I want this bike to be like them, ridiculously fast, and sideways around corners!

Didn't accomplish as much as I'd hope to today, I got a few odds/ends though. Picked up the forks and stem for free out of the discard pile at the local bike co-op. They're rusty, and the chrome is shot, but once I get home I'll just sandblast them and paint 'em flat black. I found some great forks on some old girls bike frames, but apparently they are saving those for "art!" So they wouldn't let me buy any, dang hippies. I also found some pedals laying around my room and threw 'em on, and the seat is the one the frame came with. At first I hated it, and I still do, but it's free. I also ordered some red balloon tires for it, can't wait to get them! But all in all I'm just happy to get my hands back on some rust!

Here's a mediocre update photo:

DSCN0053.jpg

Got it ride able today! It's ridiculously fast thanks to that large front sprocket, and I probably should of tightened everything down before bombing hills though (the stem came loose/out at high speed already!). All I need now is a larger seat post/clamp, and the jam nut for the forks. I also finally fixed my New Departure axle problem, about five minutes with a 3/8 X 24 die run halfway down each side of the axle, and now new hardware fits, but the old cone nuts and such still sit tightly on the original thread. When I get home next week I'm adding a headlight and a chain guard from my stash, a panel, and fresh coat of either gold or dark blue paint, and then I'll be done.

DSCN0056.jpg

As a friend and I were bombing through campus, he was drafting me on a downhill and we were both in full tucks, and somebody yells out "You two are the coolest mother (bad word) on campus!

Well I got home and tore it down, long story short the frame was bent and one of the pressed in drop outs had pulled out about an inch. So after some tweaking, and welding the droupouts in place, time to start building again. Made a custom headlight mount off the bars, and did some modification to the rear fender mount to hold a '40s Ford turn signal I'm making into a taillight. Here's a mock up:

P1020961.jpg

Back