RRB Build Off 11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Sharing" ideas and feeding off of each other's creativity is what I enjoy most about the Build Offs.
Anyone is welcome to beg, borrow, or steal any thing they see me do to my builds.

I welcome copying any of my build ideas, and I do use some from others too. On a bicycle, it is usually pretty easy to see a mod and then put your own spin on it. Unless you build something secret and never bring it into the light of day....and where is the fun it that??

Secret until the reveal. When revealed its an acomplishment. I already did it with my F4U build and so far Im having fun. Im just a private kind of guy.
That's understandable. Everyone has their own process. It looks like you have no problem building cool bikes or cool accessories for that matter!

It looks like you have no problem building cool bikes or cool accessories for that matter!
Agreed! I'd like to see you jump in this years build off.:thumbsup:Remember, it's just for fun.

I might just build mine out of a BO-X
No wait, that was last year.....

Merle.:crazy:

Really I think I'm going to smush these two bikes together...
I get BORED FAST.jpg
39' Rollfast...
sears3spd.jpg

Sears 3 spd I found today... it has some interesting parts.
I wonder who made these?

Carl.

Secret until the reveal. When revealed its an acomplishment. I already did it with my F4U build and so far Im having fun. Im just a private kind of guy.
Just remember that properly inflated tires is MY idea!! :crazy: :rofl:

Steyr Puch of Austria made that particular bike, although sears rebadged lightweights from several different makers over the years.
Thanx! I did a Google image search and ended up back here... Took a good look at the rear hub, it says made in Austria on it, and 69...a couple of sources say it's Sturmey Archer. Cool!

Carl.

Last edited:
like this?
"Mystery 3-Speed, Possibly 1960's Sears/Puch (4) - Sachs Torpedo Hub Detail
I spotted this "ladies frame" 3-Speed for sale locked to the bike rack... it's a Sears from the 1960's. Sears had Austro-Diamler-Puch of Austria build their adult three speeds. This bike has a Sachs "Torpedo" hub, which is what the Puch-Sears bikes did."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanadventureleaguepdx/6332536847

Untitled 3.jpg

Nope. It's this one...
srs3spd 001.jpg

look after 3 SPEED it's got a little 69 stamped on it...
srs3spd 002.jpg

Looks like I found my rear hub for the build off!
I tell ya, I did a Google search for Sears 3 speed and Images led me back to RRB!
There's threads here with this same kind of bike!

Carl.

I just sold two of those Steyr 3 speed hubs

Well, research has led me to believe they used a couple of different hubs on the Sears 3 spds, depending on the year built, and this one is a Sturmey Archer built with possible guts able to interchange even though the shell is different. I rode this thing and it shifts fine. The cable is junk but we can fix that... I say WOOHOO!

Carl.

Well, due to another layoff I didn't think I'd be in this years build off. But I'm back to work now.
Unfortunately I won't be able to build the ridiculousness I was planning on, but I think I have a good build in mind using stuff I already have. So I'm in, can't wait to see what awesomeness you all turn out.

Well, due to another layoff I didn't think I'd be in this years build off. But I'm back to work now.
Unfortunately I won't be able to build the ridiculousness I was planning on, but I think I have a good build in mind using stuff I already have. So I'm in, can't wait to see what awesomeness you all turn out.
Well there's always the style of build I tend to, and that is "tinker time", meaning I do a little every chance I get, and if I can bend, grind, or some other way, modify something I already have, then that's less I have to spend to get it to look the way I want... I don't have the big bucks for fabricating and paint, but I ride my bikes too and I'm never done tweaking them.

Carl.

Back