Rubbing fender

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My 63 Columbia Torpedo has an annoying problem... my front tire rubs on the fender brace when I ride it. It has slight clearance without anyone sitting on it, but a person weight causes this problem. Now I know I can stand to lose a few pounds... but how do I correct this problem? The other side of the wheel has more than enough clearance so it looks like a spacing issue somewhere.

First try readjusting where the struts attach at the frame.

If that doesn't work. Slight pulled the strut on the offending side right in the middle. This will produce a slight bend that shortens that stay. This causes the longer strut to push over and provide more clearance.

Is the front rim dished too far on that side?

Flip it around and see if it scrubs the other side.

BEFORE you go bending and twisting the fender/struts to clear it.

Just my worthless opinion.

I had a similar problem and it turned out that the wheel was out of alignment. I don't have a
bicycle stand so I just flip the bike over let it rest on the handlebar & seat, this is how I work
on the bike, anyway, one time I had the wheel without a tire just the rim and I was trying to
place different spacers & noticed when I spun the rim, it would hit the side of the brace. Looking
closer I realized that the rim was slightly bent, just enough to rub the fender brace. I'm not
saying this is what you have, but check it out, Good luck !

I don't know if this applies to your bike. This is how i do it. Stand the bike straight up. Stand in front of the bike.Turn the wheel untill the tire rubs on that one side. Loosen the axle nut on the same side just enough to move the fender braces while the axle is firmly seated in the fork.Hold the fender clear of the tire and re-tighten the axle nut. It may be necessary to do the other side that way too. If that does not work, look for a tire not evenly seated on the rim. looseness in the hub bearing cone adjustment, and all that other stuff.

MagicRat said:
Flip it around and see if it scrubs the other side.

I've run across wheel/fork setups where the wheel was offset to be centered on a lopsided fork, one way is aligned and the other way ....-eyed. :roll:

Latest posts

Back