RUFF CYCLES "LUCKY" BUILD - (FINISHED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my tires in today....love the way they look on these wheels.

lucky1200a.jpg

lucky1200c.jpg

lucky1200b.jpg

lucky1200e.jpg

Right now I'm waiting on new cranks.

I found out that you can only run curved crank arms on this frame because of the wide chain stays.

Thanks guys...it will be fun to actually ride the thing and see how it does.

I'm also waiting on the dust cover, sprocket and retaining ring for the rear hub from Ruff Cycles. It accidentally got left out of the packing when they sent it all over.

I will say this...it weighs a pretty good amount at this point....but that makes for a smooth ride right? :p

Heavy bikes are best ridden using momentum. Get your legs spun up and keep em burning at about 90 rpm.

Did you figure out what BB spindle length would work? Those Dia Compe cranks look like they have a really narrow q-factor, so those wide chain stays may be a challenge to clear.

122mm spindle and curved crank arms will work. I ordered some Redline 160mm crank arms that should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking you'd need some curved cranks. Those 160mm arms should help you fit on this big frame a bit easier. I'd be worried about not having enough leverage, but that 39t chainring should pair well with the 22t cog that comes standard with the 2 speed kb hub. I felt like the 38/18 was easy to pedal with 165mm arms on my Trek cruiser, so you should be good.

I've got a 42 and 39 tooth front chainring to work with.

When I put the 170mm crank arms on it, they seemed kind of long...as in I might grind around the corners kind of long.

Hopefully the new crank arms will arrive today or tomorrow.

Couldn't stand waiting for my cranks so I swiped a set off another bike I have. They are 170mm and after taking it for a test run, I think the 160mm that are coming on Wednesday will be perfect. I managed to grind the pedal on a turn so the 170s are a wee bit long.

Sky was nice and cloudy today so it was perfect for a few shots. I'm still debating on whether to create a tank plate for this or not. It rides really nice and the 2 speed kickback hub seems to be geared perfectly.

lucky008_1200.jpg

lucky005_1200.jpg

lucky006_1200.jpg

lucky003_1200.jpg

lucky002_1200.jpg

lucky001_1200.jpg

Love the looks of the bike.... but to tell you the truth I don't see how 10mm (just a little over 3/8") in crank arm difference is going to matter much when it comes to pedal grinding...

I had turned pretty hard when it happened and it only happened once so I'm hoping that shaving a little off will keep it from happening.

If not....I'll just have to be more careful. :21:

Love the looks of the bike.... but to tell you the truth I don't see how 10mm (just a little over 3/8") in crank arm difference is going to matter much when it comes to pedal grinding...

10 mm makes quite a difference when you consider how close the crank arms are to center line of the bike. Because the pedal sticks out further, that 10 mm is amplified when you lean. Check out my awesomely drawn diagram:

Last edited:
Back