Rummy's Cafe Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitting the cliff notes here.... Just looking for some opinions and solutions to a few road bumps I've encountered.

Ultimately this is going to be a motored bike but after looking over bikes on this forum for a while I think I want to just ride it around for a while as a bike first.

The day if came home not running. Got it running after about 30 minutes and buzzed the neighborhood. Found a few things that were sketchy on the build so figured I would tear it down to go through it and that's where I started to lose control. Haha

IMG_7728_zpsc48b7913.jpg

Huffy cranebrook bike. Tore it down to the frame. Cut off chain guard tabs, filled in water bottle holes, nothing too major.

C44035AD-9C07-4F5C-A54E-F43FF4FE6E7D_zpslos1snzw.jpg

2F16955B-C96C-471C-83E6-BF7800A6302F_zpswm4xghqm.jpg

Threw on some red primer, some orange, some tan and finished up with black.

C33651A3-2F02-4009-8D69-DB5A3F5A5E80_zpsttzticcy.jpg

32D5E1CB-6606-4935-994C-604CEBA45E0B_zpskoghnehj.jpg

E1F8AB47-D89E-4418-A26B-9441C4BAC0AE_zpsyxeegmey.jpg

My hope was to sand threw a few layers and make it look worn, rusty. Turning out pretty cool.

2DDB68C8-076C-4A7F-8D10-1F2722D7D177_zpsqm8ta4nx.jpg

Starting to put it back together. Had to open up the rear triangle a bit to fit. Some used 24" wheels with disc hubs. I think they were from a Specialized P1? Added some 203mm rotors and will be using some Elixir 3 brakes. Cheap dual crown fork I found on ebay and scuffed the chrome up. Looked too nice. Rear tire is a 24x2.1 Tioga Powerblock and love it. Goigg to find one for the front too.

A92F5AB4-916B-4C54-83DF-EA30AFEA14FA_zpsdhu2u5xv.jpg

Swappped to a sealed BB and found some no name crank arms, spindle and 25t sprocket in the parts bin. Having a hard time getting one of the crank arm bolts i to the spindle but I'll sort that out at some point.

EDDA210C-3E00-4E10-B8AC-A6BFD56919DC_zpsi3iwxdwo.jpg

Next issue is the seat. I really like the placement in this photo. I got a laid back post but it's still way too high. Any ideas on mounting this? I'm wondering if maybe I just weld tabs to the frame like spring perches?

0D88656C-1C6D-4138-91B2-A2F4ABCD7841_zps8qbnfh2r.jpg

use your seat post as a pivot with spring brackets to support the back of the seat(?)
Thanks for the link to your build sight!

Troy

use your seat post as a pivot with spring brackets to support the back of the seat(?)
Thanks for the link to your build sight!

Troy

That's kind of what I was thinking, if I could mount the front to the seat tube and almost let the spring perches sit on the frame. I was thinking of cutting off the top of the seat tube and putting a star nut inside of it? Remove the upholstery on the seat and bolt the seat support down and put the upholstery back on.

I'm also not sure yet if I want to slam the front end, there's probably 2-3 inches I can take out of the fork tubes and get the wheel close to the frame.

I'm also not sure yet if I want to slam the front end, there's probably 2-3 inches I can take out of the fork tubes and get the wheel close to the frame.
might do a mock up first your crank arms might hit the ground!

I'll have to take another pic. I got the BB and crank arms in. Nothing hitting currently but I'm sure they're close. HAHA I do have some tiny little 115mm arms from my boys bike that I could put on there to cheat it.....

I'll have to take another pic. I got the BB and crank arms in. Nothing hitting currently but I'm sure they're close. HAHA I do have some tiny little 115mm arms from my boys bike that I could put on there to cheat it.....
that would be true board tracker!!

Latest posts

Back