Rust or BLO?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am moving and can't even find time to finish my BO entry yet, but apparently there is always time to accidentally run across bike parts, lol...a friend of mine came across a cruiser frame with a (probably) Chinese springer. At some point is the past the bike appears to have been both red, and blue. It looks like a previous owner scraped like 90% of the frame down to bare shiny metal. I wish I had taken a picture.....

I have to admit I am still trying to figure out the proper approach to a rat bike. IF I get this frame, should I coat it with BLO as is? Clear coat? Or should I try to accelerate some rust/patina first? Build it as is until it grows its own personality? It takes a loooong time for stuff to rust here in Tucson.

Oh, BTW, I know nothing about the history of the frame, but would be willing to bet it is nothing special. Diagonal forward-facing dropouts, no cool pointy thingies....

I have to admit I am still trying to figure out the proper approach to a rat bike
There isn't one. You make it your own. That's the only rule 👍

Or should I try to accelerate some rust/patina first? It takes a loooong time for stuff to rust here in Tucson.
You'd be amazed at what some vinegar, salt water, or even mustard will do 😉

Here's 5 bucks worth of free advice, taken from one of the Resident Patina Masters, @OddJob
"Rust Maker...it's a 50/50 of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Shake well before using. Rough up the surface of your victim with a heavy grit sandpaper, where you want the rust to 'grow'. Then spray with 'Rust Maker' generously. Then sprinkle table salt ( sea salt works the best) and cover again with a light spray. Set in the bright hot sun for fastest result

Repeat for heavier and crunchier rust effect"

IMG_20220721_142413.jpg
IMG_20220721_142413.jpg

Sorry about the double pic. I was using my phone....
My buddy just texted me this. It doesn't really do it justice, but I suppose you get the basic idea.

Nice looking bike. I was literally just now thinking about "weathering". When I was a kid I was an avid modeler. Cars, bikes, aircraft, heavy armor...anything and everything. I was pretty good at weathering, aging, dirtying, bending/breaking military equipment...I just now said to myself
"Self" I said "if you can dodge a wrench, you can weather a bike"....no...wait....

Back