Rust something then seal it.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my first rat and I want to rust the frame and then seal it to stop it getting worse. I've been reccomended hydrochloric acid, bleach and vinegar etc... But which is best, what technique and what do I do about sealing it?

Cheers!

I spray it with sea salt water, or submerge it depending on how much rust you want and where you want the rust. I sprayed this one a couple of times throughout a day. The rust started pretty good, but I decided I wanted more uniform coverage, so I submerged it for a day with only a couple of teaspoons of salt in a few gallons of water. So in about a day and a half I have this. However, I'll be sanding, then painting, then rubbing through the paint in areas as part of a distressed paintjob. I can't submerge the painted product so I'll need it to rust quickly without water. So hopefully by breaking the surface with rust now, it will work better later.
SANY1517_zps6bdecaf9.jpg

The rust looks good but in a generation when the rust continues, it will it is rust, and there are very few bikes and hot rods left I am pretty sure we will be sorry. The house paint we all take off our bikes is the reason they are still with us, paint isn't a looks thing it is a stop rust thing. I like the look but clear coat won't stop rust once youve started it. I am thinking about a faux rust paint job while not as awesome as real pretend patina atleast the metal will be protected and the next generation of people willing to spend way to much money on a bike will have a chance.

It's just a cheap $40 tank, and the bike already has rust, so I need to tank to match. Once I paint, distress, and seal it, and keep it indoors, this tank will outlast me.

Latest posts

Back