RUST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I have a 61 JC Higgins Flightliner thats 95% original if not more. It has the original finish with surface rust here and there. I want to preserve the weathered finish but would like to stop the rust if possible. I have oiled the frame, Handle bar and forks but i would like a permanent solution. Any ideas?

jalopyjimmy13 said:
i wipe mine down with wd-40 every now n then or u can clear it but the rust gets darker

I use liquid wrench penetrating oil. WD-40 dries after a few hours. I guess these old bike are like old guns. You have to keep them clean and oiled to preserve them LOL

Thanks for your input friend. Anything helps

61JCHiggins said:
jalopyjimmy13 said:
i wipe mine down with wd-40 every now n then or u can clear it but the rust gets darker

I use liquid wrench penetrating oil. WD-40 dries after a few hours. I guess these old bike are like old guns. You have to keep them clean and oiled to preserve them LOL

Petroleum based oils will evaporate fairly quick. Sporting goods stores sell an animal grease used to protect the bore on black powder rifles. It's called Bore Butter. Used for long term storage of fire arms. A thin coat last a very long time.

Ozark Flyer said:
61JCHiggins said:
jalopyjimmy13 said:

Petroleum based oils will evaporate fairly quick. Sporting goods stores sell an animal grease used to protect the bore on black powder rifles. It's called Bore Butter. Used for long term storage of fire arms. A thin coat last a very long time.

Great Idea. I might give that a try

Thanks

Back