Rusty Chrome Rims To Paint ????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found my dayghters old Free Spirit MB in the barn today. It's in pretty tough shape but salvagable. I'd like to fix it for my grandson as his 20 incher is way small for him now.

How would you go about painting rusty Chrome rims? Really don't want tohave to re-lace the spokes but wow , they need paint.

Also, this bike is made in taiwan. Doe sthat make it better or worse than others ???

Gone Gonzo

If the rust ain't too bad it may clean up with steel wool.

Sand them and then put them in a trueing stand or an old fork, and spin them, and paint the rim as it spins. You'll get a little paint on the spokes, but it might look better than rust, unless you like rust...

alot of people cut straws legthwise and wrap em around the spokes using tape to mask the nipples and hold the straws close to the rims

as far as the rust goes, just sand them as smooth as possible and if your using a rattle can, id use either rustoleum primer or rust-tough krylon primer. painted a really rusty mower deck about 5 years ago and the krylon looks like the day i painted it.

CCR said:
alot of people cut straws legthwise and wrap em around the spokes using tape to mask the nipples and hold the straws close to the rims

Genuis. I just lived with the painted nipples and cleaned the paint off the spokes with thinner.

SkidMark said:
CCR said:

Genuis...

genius im not :lol: , not my idea, i believe its in the "HOW-TO MANUAL" thread cman put together.

i would just tape them all off the whole way, but the straw method seems to be a whole lot less mess and less time involved too.

Back