Rusty Red Transporter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great progress on the frame!
It was probably powdercoated, that is hard to remove!

If you really want to remove the BB, you need to melt the cups and then hit it with a hammer so the bearing shell comes out (of course you'll need to replace it afterwards😅). The with a hacksaw blade you can saw the piece that's still in, in half and pry it out. It's a tedious job, but doable. I've done it many times with those BB's
It's a common problem with brackets, they use no grease when they assemble it.
For now, I keep it in. Melting the cups is a good idea, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the tips!

I really gotta tackle a brake hub someday, it looks fairly straight forward. 2 different greases, is there a reason behind that beyond just feelin fancy?
My advice is, just do it. First-time disassembling is a little scary. Even I still take pictures, it helps a lot when putting it back together. The two colors grease are the same type. I switched brands and the new brand is a different color. No fancy things going on here 😆

Last night was my third night in a row working on the bike. What a luxury 😄. I started with picking parts. I was able to make an inventory of what I have and what I need to order. The highlight of the evening was mocking up the bike. I'm pleased with the stance. When I look in my crystal ball, I see the future will bring a sissy bar 😁. To make the fork work, I need to make a couple of adjustments. The head tube and the headset mounting bracket for the coil spring need to be extended. A little chopping and welding is always a fun thing to do!

transporter_19.jpg

transporter_25.jpg
transporter_20.jpg

transporter_21.jpg

transporter_23.jpg

transporter_24.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, the weather turned here in The Netherlands. Here on our farm we still had the mow 20 acres of first cut grass. The following week I will be busy getting the grass ready for silage and hay baling. Little time is left to work on the bike.

transporter_26.jpg

transporter_27.jpg

transporter_28.jpg

A sea of grass.

This is definitely not the best season for a farmer to be building a bike. Your photos take me back to my youth where I baled hay on my grandpa's farm for many years. Usually two crops. My nose is itching just thinking about it!

From what I read about those stupid plastic BB even if you buy the required tool you'd most probably end up with the same result. Even in the shop they often have to destroy the plastic to remove the BB. I have them in 2-3 frames that are decommissioned for now and I am happy they are still OK and don't need replacing yet.

I really gotta tackle a brake hub someday, it looks fairly straight forward. 2 different greases, is there a reason behind that beyond just feelin fancy?
Its really easy Matti. Not much in them. I use decent wheel bearing grease and mix a little a little moly grease in with it. The hardest part is adjusting the cone correctly so the wheel spins nicely.

Agree on that. I was planning to paint the frame. But now I’m not sure anymore. Painting and accentuating the lugs is a way to go too.
Maybe a light coat with a transparent colour could be a way to go?

Latest posts

Back