Rusty Tryke Gold

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
te3anu6e.jpg

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

u3e5a3e8.jpg
A guy offered to sell me these junky old Sears and Columbia trykes for 150.00 for both. He was kinda a smart aleck and acted like he was doing me a favor at that price. . I made him a fair offer of 25.00 each. Some people think rust is worth a mint. Plenty of nice ones on CL now for 100.00 and lately I have found a bunch at near give away prices. I do like the old Columbia single speed but would never pay 75.00 for one in such bad shape.. I had an old Sears like this one and couldnt get 50 bucks for it and was in much better shape.

Local antique shop has a Stingray girls bike with a trike kit on it. Priced at $235. I got them down to 150 but it is pretty beat up and rusty, flat tires, etc. Same place has a Ross?? muscle bike in solid rust condition , no seat vinyl left, for $65. They have had both for months. Go figure. Maybe they aren't worth a fortune. Up the street ; another antique shop has had two bikes stolen from their outdoor display during the day when they are open. I guess their prices were too high for the thieves. I don't know what they stole but what they replaced it with are $5 bikes in my world.

I dont know why trykes are so high priced. Really simple and nothing to them. I am trying to find the wife a nice one. We fifure 100.00 or less will buy one if we look alittle. Several on CL real cheap but still too far to drive. Something will pop up soon like my Miami Sun I got a few weeks back for 10.00. Patience always pays off.

The guy was a jerk. Said he would keep em and plants flowers in them. Tryke planters. That may make them worth at least 500.00. I would have probably regretted getting them for my 25 bu k apiece offer.

There isn't anyu convincing some folks.. they have a price in their head and can't be convinced what reality actually is.. He probably is telling all his buddies about the cheapskate that tried to lowball him and steal his valuable trikes for nothing... Whether it is because he remembers what they cost new (way too much) or he saw a bike on the Pickers show he thinks was similar, or he just has a poor sense of value of used stuff in general, he really genuinely does think the bikes are worth more than you offered.

It is the same way with old cars.. Nobody realizes just how expensive restoring a car is, and they always come up with the "I'll send it to the crusher before I take that" line, which if they thought about it is patently stupid. (Unless you offered less than scrap). The flower planter ruse is along the same lines.

What eventually happens is these hoarders or confused individuals end up having to dispose of all their junk or their heirs do, and it always goes for pennies on the dollar compared to previous offers.

Anyhow, don't buy into their fantasy. Unless you have some extra money and you think they are a good cause for a donation.

I see that kind of stuff a lot. I also see people who are poorer than dirt but are sitting on a gold mine (in scrap prices truthfully) but wont sell a thing. Money one could use to pay a light bill or use to better ones self. Instead they live like trash and hold on to everything until one day their kids etc. get rid of it to the junkman or to the dump. I know a family right down the road who inherited tons of old cars from their grandad. All of the cars are so far gone there is no hope for them and many people over the years tried to buy them. The answer was always NO. Even today no amout of money will get you a nut and bolt off of one. Nothing left of them and still not for sale.

I see that kind of stuff a lot. I also see people who are poorer than dirt but are sitting on a gold mine (in scrap prices truthfully) but wont sell a thing. Money one could use to pay a light bill or use to better ones self. Instead they live like trash and hold on to everything until one day their kids etc. get rid of it to the junkman or to the dump. I know a family right down the road who inherited tons of old cars from their grandad. All of the cars are so far gone there is no hope for them and many people over the years tried to buy them. The answer was always NO. Even today no amout of money will get you a nut and bolt off of one. Nothing left of them and still not for sale.

I had a guy like that, he had 6 60s chevy and ford trucks and 3 old small dirt bikes just rusting away in fenced in lot and wouldnt part with any of them. Did get 2 bikes off him but that was because he was about to scrap them.

I think the antique shops just want to keep a bike out on the sidewalk for decoration, and don't really want to sell it. If the wheels roll, they are easy to move inside at night. But, if someone comes along and will actually shell out their "don't want to sell price", they will part with it. I hardly ever take the time to ask at antique shops for this very reason.

My best deals come from people who just seem to want it out of their way. I never deal with hoarders or junk collectors.Just look at the tryke pics the guy texted me for example. Didnt bother to take a decent pic. Crap in the basket and rotten lumber everywhere. That right there usaully is a red flag to stay away and in most cases I am right. Waste of time to try and deal with em.

I thought I was the only one who ran into crazy people like that I actually came across a 52 ford car flathead an all the guy wanted 10,500 because he saw one on Gas Monkey Garage the car he had was 4 door rusty but ran good an when I say rusty I'm talking flintstone stopping

Latest posts

Back