SACHS Automatic Torpedo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can anyone tell me anything about this rear hub? My friend was told it is fully automatic and shifts on its own but I have only had experience with the kickback shift style. I want to know before buying it exactly what it does. Thanks!

IMAG0325.jpg

IMAG0324-1.jpg

ya its got a centrifugally activated overdrive. its the rarest of the torpedo's and the 36h ones are the hardest to find.

what color is the ring on the side? thats what determines what size wheel it fits.. :roll:

scrumblero said:
ya its got a centrifugally activated overdrive. its the rarest of the torpedo's and the 36h ones are the hardest to find.

what color is the ring on the side? thats what determines what size wheel it fits.. :roll:

There is no color ring. It might have been cleaned or worn off. I did notice a "580" also imprinted on it that is not shown in the photos.

There has been a couple of posts on the board regarding those hubs. A couple of us have them. Mine is the 24" wheel, 36 spoke variant on a Free Spirit folding bike from the early 70's with 24" wheels with all euro-style parts made in Germany. There is at least one other person here with one.

There are a few website articles out there about these things. They are centrifugal shifted 2 speeds based off of the older Sach 2 speed manual hubs. There is a plastic ring that goes on the outside of the brake arm side of the hub (I think it was blue versus green). This determines the internal speed at which the hub changes gears (for 20-24" or 26" wheels). The speed was around 15mph when it would shift.

From what I've heard, they are a pain in the butt to rebuild and have little springs and such that will fly out at you when you take them apart.

http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/torpedo-duomatic-fs/

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... P!&p=55430

Back