Saddlesmith 101

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so it helps if you have 20lbs of scrap saddle leather and a box of smithy tools but I have had tremendous results using only small bits of leather, super trim glue, a roller, an awl, & leather thread.
The ability to just give it a try will go a long way.

leatherworkingtools.jpg

glue-1.jpg

leatherremnants.jpg

Hairpin saddle

personssaddle.jpg

HPIM4192.jpg

Custom tooling

cloverleather.jpg

cloverspeedball.jpg

cloverspeedone.jpg

cloverthewholething.jpg

cloverseat.jpg

Just took more time than anything.
Seat leathery is one serious craft that I will be looking more into on this thread.

Thanks m
Worked it more than anything

This is the one that started it for me.
Persons recover in aged brown leather.
I used a stock Western Flyer/Persons pan with stock foam and put wetsuit neoprene under the top of saddle grade.

jctracks.jpg

Nice work. On the cloverleaf, why did you cut out the outline of the cloverleaf in the large piece instead of sewing it directly on with no cutout? What is the purpose of the roller? Just curious. Gary

B607 said:
Nice work. On the cloverleaf, why did you cut out the outline of the cloverleaf in the large piece instead of sewing it directly on with no cutout? What is the purpose of the roller? Just curious. Gary
That did not work... I wanted to roll the edges together but the hide is too thick. Ended up going directly to the hide like u were thinking.

As for the roller. It just flattens out the edges, keeps the glue down and stitch smooth during the whole operation.

I started another logo just to see if there is any interest in what I am into. I could easily get more leather and glue and do this for others.
The RRBBO7 took several hrs to cut, glue, punch, stitch and it's got a way to go still. I'll put it in the "for sale" when done with a new pic.
This is how it looks now:

RRBBO7.jpg

Great job on the seats. I am working on making custom saddles and handlebar grips for some of my bikes too :D in the meantime, I made a quick wallet to attach to my belt

2vla45v.jpg

Meeba jumpin right into the stitch! Right on man... see how it just takes the ability to try.

Post pictures of your seats and stuff right here when completed. We will get better as we work with leather more. Seems to just take time.

Latest posts

Back