Sailfest New London CT July 11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well this isn't specifically a bicycle event, but it is the biggest thing that happens in New London, CT all year: Sailfest! (Check out http://www.sailfest.org for all the info.)

It starts tonight, the BIG fireworks display is Saturday evening, July 11th, and it wraps up on Sunday the 12th.

bestfirewk0825.jpg

There are tall ships, Coast Guard displays, rides, vendors, 12 free bands on 2 stages, food, beer, an art bazaar, and a huge fireworks display over the Thames River.

bestfirewk0841.jpg

This year, our new organzation, BIKE NEW LONDON (http://www.bikenewlondon.org) is offering a Bike Valet service in the city on the busy fireworks night. We are offering a service for a Buck-a-bike, where you may drop off your bicycle with our volunteers and the bike is held in a secure area for you until you return.

bike_nl3.jpg

The response we have gotten from all types of press has been overwhelmingly positive. The local paper (http://www.theday.com) has featured a little spot about our service right on the front page. It's been written up in the official itinerary of the Sailfest event brochure, and tihs morning (at 6AM!) we were interviewed by a Hartford news channel (FOX 61, http://www.fox61.com). That was pretty cool and our group's spokesperson, Alicia, did a great job not looking nervous on camera, but the best part was that we got on TV with my RAT ROD BIKES shirt! The TV anchorman also decided he looked good on my '65 Schwinn Collegiate (in coppertone) so he commandeered it, and the live broadcast featured a nice tight closeup shot of it. Glad it looked nice!

coppercol11.jpg

So if you're going to be in the area, I'll be volunteering at the Bike Valet, at the intersection of State St. and Eugene O'Neill Drive, in front of the famous Wyland Whale Wall. It's a short ride down to the waterfront from my house, but even 10 blocks away from the water where I live, it's going to be very busy. A bicycle is the best way to get around downtown.

Come on down and don't miss the fireworks by the famous Grucci family- a real sight to see if you've never seen them up close over a big harbor like New London has.

bestfirewk0817.jpg

--Rob

Our little fundraising event as well as the big Sailfest event both went without a hitch.

We had our "Bike Valet" booth set up in front of the Whale Wall- a huge mural by the artist Wyland (if you know who he is, I don't need to tell you more.) I think New London is the smallest city to have a Wyland- we are very lucky! (and we are known as the Whaling City, though New Bedford Mass thinks they are too.)

sailfest09bike2.jpg

So uh, those are jellyfish in the mural, not threatening tentacles inside our tent. :)

sailfest09bike6.jpg

We had close to 50 people use our service. It worked out to be a welcome service on a beautiful day. We met lots of cool bike people, including a guy with a restored 1971 red and black Motobecane... sadly I didn't get a picture of it.

sailfest09bike8.jpg

Ok lets get to what we all came for. Somewhere between 200,000 and 500,000 people come to the area to see the famous fireworks by the Grucci Family over the Thames River every year. I know how to get down to a special spot near the water that most people won't venture to. The bikes allow us to get down there in 5 minutes from the house and back quickly while mainly going away from the crowds.

sailfest09ft03.jpg

We were the only people down by the commercial fishing piers.

sailfest09ft04.jpg

sailfest09ft23.jpg

If you went, I hope you had as good a time as we did!

sailfest09ft28.jpg

See you next year!

--Rob

great pictures Rob. I missed the fireworks this year, as we were there on Friday on the way home from RI beaches. I will say this though, it was nice being there on Friday with about 1/8th the number of people. Went to Dutch Tavern 3 times (it was home base).

what's going on where the main stage used to be? (construction)

Hoping to see you guys on Aug 2nd for the Rat Rod ride.

Cool yeah come on down for the ride. Rat Rod Ride is always a fun one.

I went to Dutch actually on Sat nite, there was a little rain and it chased a lot of the crazies out of town, leaving just the regular crazies. We were out on my 64 Rat Racer and Justins' East Coast/West Coast chopper. CJ came down on his singlespeed and we rode dangerously through the crowds. And my 65 Collegiate got a flat and our friend riding it didn't notice.... :( oh well.... it was on TV the day before! The guy from Channel 61 did an interview sitting on it!

--Rob

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
great pictures Rob. I missed the fireworks this year, as we were there on Friday on the way home from RI beaches. I will say this though, it was nice being there on Friday with about 1/8th the number of people. Went to Dutch Tavern 3 times (it was home base).

what's going on where the main stage used to be? (construction)

Hoping to see you guys on Aug 2nd for the Rat Rod ride.

"we rode dangerously through the crowds" I don't know if thats how I'd describe it but ok. I had that sweet wreck in front of everyone well not really a wreck but I went over the bars trying to stop and landed on my feet just scratched my bike up a bit

Awesome!
There are definitely times that I miss New England...

Hammond Eggz said:
Awesome!
There are definitely times that I miss New England...

Well, if you're turning green with envy, that could be a case of Green eggs n Hammond.

:roll:

Seriously, anyone from Ratrods is always welcome to visit, hang out, talk bikes, trade parts, trade stories, grab a beer, go for a ride, and generally do what you're supposed to do on a summer afternoon. If you're ever back in the neighborhood...

nlratrodride080305.jpg

Ride your Rat with us!
--Rob

Today, the donations from our Bike Valet and other events, plus private donations, went into effect and BIKE NEW LONDON did our first community project:

We installed our first new bike rack at New London's Union Station, our 1886 train and bus terminal. (It's also next door to ferry docks that serve 4 ports in 3 states, true multi-modal transit!) Since renovation and construction work started last year, the train station has been without a bike rack. So it makes sense to start here on our mission to make New London a safer and more bike-friendly city.

First in the new racks, of course, were the rat rods!

bikenl072009.jpg

Later in the day, a group of us got together and since we were downtown, I led everyone over to show off the work.

union072009.jpg

A good productive day!

See you all downtown!
--Rob

Back