Schwinn 24" Deluxe Tornado 'swap meet score'!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a bike that I've been looking for for a very long time.
I scored it at the Long Beach swap meet today along with two 50's Schwinn Panthers.
This bike is a 1960 24" Schwinn Deluxe Tornado 'double arch' bar.
I've only seen two of these in my life; (& I own one of them now!!!) :mrgreen:

deluxtornado3.jpg

deluxtornado.jpg

deluxtornado2.jpg

That's pretty cool...I've never seen the arched bars like that...only the straight versions.

Did they only come on 24" bikes?

Rat Rod said:
That's pretty cool...I've never seen the arched bars like that...only the straight versions.

Did they only come on 24" bikes?

The only two I've ever seen are 24"s... The other, I think was called a Schwinn Flying Star ? (It had a 'in frame' tank!)

oh kool, i saw u with that bike on a wagon,
u were trying to buy the tank for it from that seller that over prices things.
right?
i dig 24"s
how much did u get it for?

el_espanto said:
oh kool, i saw u with that bike on a wagon,
u were trying to buy the tank for it from that seller that over prices things.
right?
i dig 24"s
how much did u get it for?

Yep, that was me!

I got the whole frame set for $130... That other guy wanted $150 just for the tank!!! :shock:

Here's a update... I used some leftover rear 24" wheels from some Nirve Switchblades that I motorized to get her going.
I relaced one onto a front hub & the other still has the Shimano Nexus 3-speed hub. Then I added some spankin' new white walls & a new seat.
This thing rides soooo sweet with gears!! :mrgreen:

I hope you guys like it. :)

VMBmy24schwinn.jpg

vmbmy24schwinn2.jpg

vmbmy24schwinn3.jpg

vmbmy24schwinn4.jpg

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I love it! Do you think there's room in the rear triangle and fork for a set of 24 x 3s?

Cheers,
Dr. T

That would look stunning.

I'd love to get my hands on another 24" frame. There's something about the way they ride. Yours Norm, looks very special.

I actually have some 50mm wide 24" rims from a Felt cruiser that I'm considering using on it. I also have 24 X 3" slick tires! 8)
I'll look into it & post.

Here's a pic of me & the Tornado from a local bike show at the Hammer Museum last Thursday night. :mrgreen:
vmbme.jpg

Did you ever put 24x3''s on this thing? I just came across one of these frames, and was wanting to do that.

I ended up building some custom Felt 24" wheels with a 8-speed/drum brake Sturmey hub & 12ga spokes.
I also found the correct Schwinn tank for it... I'll post some pix soon.

Here's a little update on my Deluxe Tornado... I found a correct tank for it, & I also built my dream wheels for it.
I built a set of polished 24" Felt 50mm wheels with 12 gage stainless spokes, a Bendix 'red band' 2-speed kick back hub & a Schwinn 'ACS' front hub.

tornado1_zps8edd30bc.jpg

tornado3_zpsb9d61826.jpg

tornado4_zps6b04d504.jpg

tornado2_zps301edfac.jpg

Latest posts

Back