Schwinn American

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some work at a customers house yesterday when I noticed an old Schwinn hanging in the garage. When I saw her today I told her if she was ever going to get rid of it to let me know I might be interested in buying it from her. She said it was originally her husbands but she had taken 'ownership' and what she really wanted to do was find some one who could rebuild it. I told her I'd love to do that for her, she offered to pay so now it is in my garage. It is in pretty good shape but rusty, she said she doesn't want people to think it is a replica, so I told her I would clean shine and lube it for her. The only thing I plan on replacing are the innertubes.

I hope to get it done over the weekend

CIMG0400.jpg

CIMG0401.jpg

Yeah I was going to ask that I have read the post and I did notice that they are decals. Should I avoid all liquids, water too?

Clean the frame and then clear coat it with acrylic.
IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

i cant say too much since ive only done 2 schwinns(one a 52 and the other a 57)........
but when i did those i used ppgs wax and grease remover before i compounded them(spray on and wipe down as fast as possible) then hit them with 3m compound, followed by 3ms glaze,followed by meguires cleaner wax(all done with a flannel rag).....and had no problems with anything lifting or coming loose but it was on/off as soon as i could since water slide decals will loosen up if you let them sit wet. so the faster you work the better
as for water i would ASSUME itd be the same but cant say 100% since ive never actually used it(you might try asking ratrod since he details a lot of schwinns of all years before ebay :wink: )
good luck and post some finished pics when done!

Re: Schwinn American finished 8/26

This took a little longer than I planned but was able to finish without replacing any parts, except a spoke, and alot of elbow grease. She was very pleased with the outcome.
CIMG0405.jpg

CIMG0406.jpg

I have a new found respect for anyone who cleans and flips a bike for profit. I probably spent a good 6 hours cleaning this and I just could not charge her anything, to make a long story short a few years back I was diagnosed with cancer and let me just say she was very generous to me.

Back