Schwinn and Tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I see you are showing you put a fractional tire on a Schwinn rim, just like he said (nine years ago).

I'm not sure what you're showing here... seems like you're proving his point?
Well. Yes and yes. BUT just because a tire has a fractional dimmension on it doesn't mean it will fit a Schwinn rim, S5 or S6 x 26 (S5) in my example. Fractional lettering was not enough information to go by when selecting a tire in my case with my brain cells.

If there is take away that would be helpful it would be that for S5 or S6 Schwinn Rims, the tire must state it is for such a rim. And it seems like S5 and S6 are interchangable for the two tires manufactures making tires for these rims in today's market. Alternatively the ISO number would also verify tire size.

I'd have to go back and read the original post, but I doubt it said that any fractional tire will fit on any other fractional rim. That's simply not true. What is true is that no fractionally-sized tire will fit on the Schwinn S2. There's actually five common 26" tire sub-families, four of which are fractional. Maybe this chart will help visualize things.

02_I_26_Inch_Tire_Size.png

And, don't overlook the 700D (ISO 587) that was used and abandoned by GT cycles. Now THAT'S a true orphan!

Back