Schwinn at an antique shop..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Went up to Maine for the weekend to hang out with Jane and ride my build off bike :) We were on our way to breakfast when I spotted a rusty old bike at an antique shop so on the way back we stopped to look at it , figured we'd ask the price, have a laugh , take a pic and be on our way. Saw it was a Schwinn and figured they would think it was made of gold just cuz that's usually the case around here. Jane is way cuter than me so I sent her in to ask the price and couldn't believe when the dude said 60 bucks! Needless to say I brought it home tonight...
gybajygu.jpg
I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna hit this with some steel wool and some kinda clearcoat
semehapu.jpg
and here it is at home :) stay tuned...
e3e6ajyg.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Typhoon it was, but the Skipper and Tornado, and Flying Star it was 2 years I think. The serial number will tell the year of your bike.

Last edited:
That's weird that's the second one that Ive seen with the Tornado chainguard.The Tornado frames are different to Typhoon frames.Maybe because this frame is a middle weight opposed to a fat tire frame?

They were the same middleweight frames. The first Typhoon came out in 62, but those frames were made in 61 and 62. After that, they were all cantilever frames.

I restored a 64 American to very good condition, nearly the same situation, it was her late husband's bike. The black paint and chrome came back nicely and I cleaned and greased all the bearings. It cost almost nothing to get it in great riding condition. I just enjoyed seeing a good bike come back to life. I took it for a good ride and dropped it off at her house. I took 20 bucks because she kept insisting.

The lettering came out bright and the color really shines. Did you clean up the fenders too?

The lettering came out bright and the color really shines. Did you clean up the fenders too?
I haven't done the fenders yet, one of the braces is broken and the bolt that holds the fender to the fork snapped so I've gotta deal with that first, I just wanted to ride it :)

Wow,sweet ride... can it go 60 miles ?...Stevil

Worked on the fenders tonight, they were bent and dented in addition to being rusty :) stole a brace and a reflector off a Columbia fender from the pile then drilled and tapped the broken fork mount bolt, not a lot of room to turn the tap wrench :)
susu2avy.jpg
problem now is, with the skinny seat and low bars I like it better with no fenders!

Latest posts

Back