Schwinn Black Phantom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A few day's ago I was at work and my Uncle sent me a text that he was at an auction and that there was a couple old bikes there and asked if I'd be interested. I always are, and asked for pictures. I about flipped out when I saw that it was a schwinn. Schwinn's with tanks don't ever show up around here. It's always a speedster or a Le tour or something.. Anyway's so about an hour later he texts me and say's we're the proud new owners of a Schwinn. Awesome
So this morning he texted me and asked if he came by today while I was at work, if i'd build his bike for him (I got him hooked on old bikes so he went and found one and had it repainted/new parts). I agreed to it as long as he'd bring the schwinn with him when he came down here.
Pulled it out of his truck when he got there and it took me a few seconds to rub the chainguard and see that it said "Black Phantom" and I got really excited. It's missing the fender's, light, and rear rack.. and I'm pretty sure either one or both wheels have been replaced. Handlebars that are on it aren't original but the guy at the auction had the original ones and threw them in.

Everything is in nice shape but rusty.. couple of tiny pinholes in the right side of the tank.

7158839189_46ce09e878_z.jpg

7158879255_d32d098b99_z.jpg

7344087996_9a1d6c299d_z.jpg

After a short soak in Oxalic Acid

Tank:
7158885957_0e3d23cc71_z.jpg

Chainguard:
7344093760_727921bae6_z.jpg

I think the Clover sprocket and the thru the forks bolt on the forks put it at the last couple years of the phantom. I think. I just bought Geoff Greene's book on Heavy Weights and have learned just enough to be dangerous with my limited knowledge retention, so double check my guess. Maybe up to 65-70 on the guard and up to 90 on the tank? If the Phantom/AS pedals are on it, thats a few bucks. I'd guess maybe 125-150 as it sits. Plus the seat with the double pan and AS seat post clamp, those might bring another 20-40 if you are parting out.

I see $200...maybe $300 worth of parts there. Fifty years since the last Phantom was made...so you take what parts you find to make another one. :wink: Gary

If it was me id clean it and clear coat the orignal stuff like the chain guard frame tank But thats just what id do

The way I see it you could go to a swap meet and get:
Frame $75-$100
Fork $75-$100
Tank $75
Apes $20
Seat $20
chain guard $20
Crank $20

outskirtscustoms said:

Not that I doubt you (each area is different) but I would love to live in a place where rusty apes bring 3 bucks! :D Tell you what. I'll send you all my apes and you send me all the chain guards and we'll split the profit!

Around here apes sell. I use them on every bike I can. Thing is they are so difficult to ship reasonably.

Well everything is for sale if anybody is Interested. I'd like to sell it as a complete bike.. I have a set of schwinn balloon style fenders with the headlight mount from an old B Model schwinn that'll work. They're painted and in nice shape.

Latest posts

Back