Schwinn Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my very first project.:lol: The frame, a '78 Schwinn cruiser had coats of blue house paint brushed on when I got it. I stripped the paint to metal and sprayed a few coats of red primer then a few coats of clear over. The springer fork is from a late '50s Schwinn. The stem, crank, pedals are all Schwinn with the appropriate stampings on them, all from the '60s. The wheels are S-2 with cheap WW tires. I have a chainguard from a '50s Phantom, not sure if I want to repaint or leave as is or go without a chain guard altogether. It's a metallic blue right now. Haven't decided on what type of grip to get yet. Perhaps a blue glitter to match the guard? Thanks all for the inspiration. I have another project on the way, just waiting for all the pieces to come together. Will certainly post photos when done. :D
78Schwinn1.jpg

78Schwinn2.jpg

Nice clean build. I'd go with the chain guard if it were up to me. Without the guard, the seat (which is very cool BTW) dominates the bike a bit much.

-Mp

I like the finish you've done on it. I'd paint the chainguard the same as the bike. Maybe even decal it or stencil something on it in white and distress the lettering a little.
That's a whopper of a seat.
This bike they actually attached a sissy bar/struts to a seat like that. http://www.luxurylowrider.com/diomobcp.htm

aideas said:
I like! Do you know where one can get a setback seat post like that one? :?:

I've used a couple of those seat posts on my bikes. I think most of them came off of trashed bmx bikes I found.
I'm sure your LBS can order one assuming they make one the right diameter for your bike. You could use a shim it it's too small.

Just got the chainguard painted, primer red with black gloss and silver pinstriping. Now I just have to wait for the paint to set-up, give'r it a good rubbing and then apply a few coats of clear. A red Schwinn round sticker from a Panther will go on it as a final touch. 8)
Guard.jpg

My favorite of all schwinn guards! that looks nice, I wanna see a finished picture...

Back