Schwinn Exerciser Stretch.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Schwinn Excercisor Stretch.

How did I miss this one? Dude that's one incredible build.

Sweet ride, I love it so much that I'm on a hunt to find and build one for myself
Nice work, and way to go on the race thing!!
Real cool. It's easy to forget that that was an exercise bike frame.
How did I miss this one? Dude that's one incredible build.

Thanks! It is fun to read your responses. It is just as fun to ride.

I like my tire size for everyday use, but for races,I have thought about skinny whitewalls. Does anyone know if or where I can find some that will fit these 26" mountain bike rims?

The frame has a nice flow about it. All the tubes look like they belong. I like that.

fantastic. love the whole look. how did you go in the race?

I'm normally not into stretched bikes, but I really like the look of this. Nice work.

Thanks guys. I am surprised to see this tread again.

The race went well. It was 3 seven mile laps on fairly level ground. I lapped a number of people. I was able to keep up 25mph for the first three miles then slowed down to about 20mph. The factory spot welds broke on my water bottle holder and lost my water at the beginning of the second lap. I got another bottle at the end of the second lap and carried it in my hand the last lap. I finished the race about 12th out of 250+ based on time only. It took me 59 min. I only saw one other person on a cruiser of any kind and they got a flat on the first lap. It was fun to take my 45 pound "excercise" bike wearing a genuine WWII helmet, cut off jean shorts and pass people on their under 20 pound bikes wearing spandex.

I missed it this year to go to a VW car show. I might try it again next year.....with a different seat. Ouch!

I am thinking about doing the race again this year. I may build a new, lower, more aerodynamic bike with a better sitting position. I went out today for an hour ride to try and start getting in shape. At the end of the ride we decided to go up and down a pretty long hill. One of those hills that's not real steep, but long enough to wear you out going up. We rested for a minute or two at the top and then we thought it would be fun to make use of the hill. We were both on 3 speed bikes. The other guy said his bike was getting squirrily at about 24mph. I hit a new record for this bike. I tried to push it just that little extra, but I had worked my bars loose going up the hill, and I didn't have my front spring in so my pedals were only about an inch off the ground. I couldn't quite hit 40. Maybe next time.

DSCI0013.jpg

I just realized my camera is confused about the date. I'll have to look into that.

Nice, I have the parts to copy yours, can you either send or post some close ups of the rear drop outs. Thanks.

Thanks.

I was having a hard time researching my gear ratios with the internal 3 speed so I just measured a full rotation in each gear and did some calculations. My low gear takes 345 pedal rotations to complete 1 mile. 250 in second gear and 183 in high. This also calculates to 75 rpm to hit 25mph, and 121 to hit 39mph. That felt about accurate. I couldn't really pedal any faster. I am usually in second because of the weight of the bike. It is a beast. I have a speedo, but it is nice to be able to figure my rpm's based on speed and distance traveled per pedal rotation.

Aparantly I was getting used to about 85-90 rpm's for 40 min. The bike is heavy with an awkward sitting position for speed anyway. Maybe I will work on some strength training so I can push that high gear longer at a lower rpm like 70-75.

Here is an updated photo. I put a different seat on since this for long distance comfort. This seat wouldn't give me the distance from the pedals I need for long rides. I really lliked the look though.

IMG_0128.jpg

one of the best build here...

i litterally love this bike... knowing that it was and exercise bike is a big plus too

congrats

looks great-I have always as well saved a many of the exercycle parts as I can with space limited. BUT i cant believe you didnt see the use of the front fork assembly. has a ton of uses. early bmx. cool chopper fork. so many. here is a quick use I made of the exer fork. but this is done two mins. I know you could really do some art if you were to use one.

Attachments

• DSCN8256.JPG
    DSCN8256.JPG
    457.1 KB · Views: 172
another shot ohh ps yes that's the rear wheel from one ofthe exercycles too. i use the bars(after bending them back a bit) and even laced one of the s-7 mint rims(always are of of course) on a bike that needed one. SO many parts to scavenge from a EXER' hahaha

Attachments

• DSCN8261.JPG
    DSCN8261.JPG
    430.7 KB · Views: 161
Cool resurrection post!
It'd be amazing to see this bike in a race!

Love the little chopper above as well :)

Back